Author Topic: Satan Ninja Comic Strips  (Read 12681 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Satan Ninja Comic Strips
« on: April 01, 2016, 08:29:14 PM »

Ever since we launched this site, we’ve noticed that the Internet in general tends to be a lot more receptive to gag strip comics as opposed to long-form comics. For those who don’t know the difference, long-form comics are story-driven (think Batman or Dragonball), while gag strips are joke-driven and each strip tends to stand alone (think Garfield or xkcd).

The popularity of gag strips on the Internet makes sense. Long-form comics require that a reader start at the beginning (or at least at the beginning of the latest narrative arc) in order to fully appreciate it. They require a time investment, which is a total bummer. Gag strip comics, on the other hand, are instantly accessible. You can see a single page, chuckle at it, and then carry on with browsing the ‘net. Or better yet, share the page to social media so you can make your friends and family laugh and feel unjustifiably funnier for having shared it.

Recently, we decided to start doing a monthly bonus Satan Ninja gag strip for Jessica’s $10+ patrons. It was while working on the gag strip for March that we thought: “Hey! Why don’t we totally re-vamp Satan Ninja to be a gag strip comic all the time!” We then smacked our foreheads and exclaimed “Duh!”

Now, some of you might not be too happy with this change, and we totally understand that. But listen, since Jessica quit her “day” job to focus on the comic, it simply makes sense for us to take the path that has the greatest chance of success: the path of the gag strip.

Besides, the comic will still feature Jessica’s awesome art, and all your favorite characters will still be there, and so will the ‘80s references. And now that we’re a gag strip, we have a lot more creative freedom. We can do things like break the fourth wall, and “kill” characters for the sake of a gag, only to have them back without explanation in the next strip. And it’ll be a lot easier to write the comic without having to worry about things like plot or continuity. From now on it’s nothing but good ol’ wacky fun and gags!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:43:20 AM by Adam Dravian »

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Satan Ninja Comic Strips
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 09:12:49 PM »
So I have not read the page yet. I have read the blog post with it and I have to say a little late to the game but I remembered what day it is.  So yeah that's my call.
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 09:14:19 PM »
Haha, So now I've read the page and it's great like usual.
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Matty2310

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 09:27:57 PM »
I have to say, I'm not really sure how I feel about this. As a matter of fact, as someone who's dedicated my mental energy to this since December, I'm actually really dissappointed. It's been fun, but I'm afraid that from now on, we'll have to go, as Journey would say, our Separate Ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA Conveys EXACTLY how I'm feeling right now.
Well I guess this is it. Goodbye.
(oh and by the way, that's definitely a reference to a NES yeah?)
I listen to 80's music for a living, how about you?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 09:43:06 PM »
I have to say, I'm not really sure how I feel about this. As a matter of fact, as someone who's dedicated my mental energy to this since December, I'm actually really dissappointed. It's been fun, but I'm afraid that from now on, we'll have to go, as Journey would say, our Separate Ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA Conveys EXACTLY how I'm feeling right now.
Well I guess this is it. Goodbye.
(oh and by the way, that's definitely a reference to a NES yeah?)

You know how Eddie is crying tears of joy in the first panel of this strip because he's finally beaten the game? Well, I'm crying tears like that right now. Except they're not tears of joy--they're tears of heartbreak.

I've ranted about how much I hate that Journey music video. Such a rad song deserved better than that abomination.

And yeah, that's totally a NES. Or at least the SN8X-verse version of a NES, which we haven't named yet.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 09:55:25 PM »
I've ranted about how much I hate that Journey music video. Such a rad song deserved better than that abomination.

After hearing Don't Stop Believin' twice every bar I went to for years in downtown Rivercity err.... Grand Rapids I pretty much hate Journey, except this song and it's horrible video.   

Matty2310

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 11:52:17 PM »
Believe me (or don't believe me, see what I kind of did there?), the emotions and facial expressions in that video was exactly how I felt. But as I'm a great person, I have mercy and have decided to stay. Besides, it's April 2nd where I am anyway (so if you want to know the future, just ask). Regarding the video, I personally love it. So entertaining with an awesome song.
I listen to 80's music for a living, how about you?

Rae

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 08:30:31 AM »
Pfsh, best music video ever...
And good gag. :)

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
That's actually quite a good one, although a bit gory in the end. Love the tears of joy though, well done!
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 04:23:56 AM »
I imagine this must be mega-confusing to anyone who's discovered the comic within the past couple days. They're reading along and getting all into it... they get to the page where Alex suggests she and Eddie watch some badass Dude Shinobi movie, and then suddenly--bam! Eddie's alone on a pink couch with weird colored lighting playing an NES, crying, and then tearing his face off...

After we posted this April Fools gag strip/blog post, we actually had one person unfollow us on Facebook. So maybe we are the fools.

Also, I have no idea where we're going to put this April Fools strip once we replace it with the actual page 18 this Saturday. I guess the Extra's section?

But as I'm a great person, I have mercy and have decided to stay.

And now I'm crying tears of joy just like Eddie.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:28:43 AM by Adam Dravian »

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 07:42:22 AM »
But as I'm a great person, I have mercy and have decided to stay.

And now I'm crying tears of joy just like Eddie.

Don't tear your face off though..
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?