Author Topic: Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 23 - Ninja Whispers  (Read 13645 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 23 - Ninja Whispers
« on: May 21, 2016, 08:43:16 AM »

Whoa, it’s been a long time since members of the satan ninja clan were featured in the comic. I suppose Eddie now being a satan ninja has been filling that void.

Jessica’s been mindful of this page ever since she started drawing Issue 3. She really wanted to make sure that someone could believably mistake Alex for a boy. That’s why Alex has a jacket to hide her figure. And having her get all sweaty from sparring with Eddie was a good excuse for Alex to wet her hair, thus getting rid of the more feminine hair style she typically sports.

Jessica Safron

• The Artist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 23 - Ninja Whispers
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:01:34 AM »
And having her get all sweaty from sparring with Eddie was a good excuse for Alex to wet her hair, thus getting rid of the more feminine hair style she typically sports.

Even though she wet her hair, I'm sure she didn't wash it. The actual reason her hair stayed different is that it's all oily by now. What a filthy girl.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:03:13 AM by Jessica Safron »

Red

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:40:26 AM »
I wonder if Alex is aware that she's being followed...! BTW how would Alex handle the fact that people question her sexual orientation(i.e. some refer to her as a lesbian!?!?!)

Also,is it safe to assume that those ninjas were following Eddie?

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 02:04:14 PM »
I wonder if Alex is aware that she's being followed...! BTW how would Alex handle the fact that people question her sexual orientation(i.e. some refer to her as a lesbian!?!?!)

She's just been called one of the guys as well, I guess it's all part of teenage problems for her?

The Ninja clan doesn't seem very professional so far, although they casually sacrifice things to use spooky powers!

I wonder if they'll get into a fight with Alex, the plot is definitely thickening. Are we heading for the first confrontation? Or a big cliffhanger..?
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 06:25:07 PM »
BTW how would Alex handle the fact that people question her sexual orientation(i.e. some refer to her as a lesbian!?!?!)

I'd say it annoys her, but how much it annoys her depends on who's saying it. When Dean called her a "little kung fu lesbian" she shot insults right back at him (and threatened him with whirling nunchucks). When she overheard Eddie's grandma calling her a lesbian, she ignored it, but then told Eddie that sometimes she wants to jump kick her (though that also could have been because Grandma said she was an easier catch than Heather).

The ninjas were able to deduce via mystical ninja tracking that a teenage boy found the glove, and they have a good idea of what neighborhood he lives in, but that's as much as they know. Like the ninja said in the page, they've split into small teams and are going house to house peering in windows for signs of the glove. The fact that these two ninjas were on the roof of the house next door to Eddie was a lucky coincidence. If they happen to peek into Eddie's attic bedroom window, there's a good chance they'll find a certain satan ninja-clad teenager sleeping in his bed (or maybe ninja jerking it to that Veronica picture he keeps on his wall near his pillow).

The Ninja clan doesn't seem very professional so far, although they casually sacrifice things to use spooky powers!

Yeah, it's probably hard for the satan ninja clan to have their shit together when their "Ninja Commander" is a bit of a wacko. We've seen him in two scenes. In one he's hot-headed and determined to find the glove, in the other he's playing a video game and seems much more apathetic, like he's barely paying attention.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:30:04 PM by Adam Dravian »

Matty2310

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 09:16:44 PM »
The whole boy thing definitely worked on me. I thought it was Trance at first.
I listen to 80's music for a living, how about you?

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 03:47:58 AM »

Yeah, it's probably hard for the satan ninja clan to have their shit together when their "Ninja Commander" is a bit of a wacko. We've seen him in two scenes. In one he's hot-headed and determined to find the glove, in the other he's playing a video game and seems much more apathetic, like he's barely paying attention.

Haha the Ninja guy Ben game! Exactly what I meant. It might still be casual coolness born out of confidence though, like they're so strong they just don't care anymore.

I always wondered where these secret Ninja societies recruit their members though. Disenfranchised youths? Abducted babies? News paper ads?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 07:16:48 AM »

Poor Alex. Even the readers mistake her for a boy.

I always wondered where these secret Ninja societies recruit their members though. Disenfranchised youths? Abducted babies? News paper ads?

The first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie actually deals with that. The Foot clan recruits wayward teens by letting them hang out at their super cool clubhouse with skateboarding and video games and cigarettes. Something like that anyway, it's been a long time since I've seen it.

Mumm-Rad

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »
I feel like a kid waiting for cookies to come out of the oven! Anticipation! Can't wait to see Eddie in action! Will he awake just in time to save Alex? Will Alex actually need his help kicking ninja ass? Like a true fan I will tune in next week to find out!

Jessica Safron

• The Artist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 04:04:20 PM »
BTW how would Alex handle the fact that people question her sexual orientation(i.e. some refer to her as a lesbian!?!?!)

I'd say it annoys her, but how much it annoys her depends on who's saying it. When Dean called her a "little kung fu lesbian" she shot insults right back at him (and threatened him with whirling nunchucks). When she overheard Eddie's grandma calling her a lesbian, she ignored it, but then told Eddie that sometimes she wants to jump kick her (though that also could have been because Grandma said she was an easier catch than Heather).

Oh man, I have a history of setting off people's gaydar, especially as a tween/teen. I was pretty insecure about it, even though by my teen years I'd made gay friends and had zero moral qualms with their gayness. Besides the obvious cowardly desire to avoid having a label with such stigma, I really wanted people to know that tomboy doesn't automatically equal lesbian. Assumptions, and even the potential for those assumptions, frustrated me a little more than they should have.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 08:45:43 PM »
I like the development of the ninja clan here. I especially like that the female ninja is a ditz that fits the 80's theame so well. 
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 11:32:11 AM »

The first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie actually deals with that. The Foot clan recruits wayward teens by letting them hang out at their super cool clubhouse with skateboarding and video games and cigarettes. Something like that anyway, it's been a long time since I've seen it.

You know, I haven't seen that movie in such a long time I'd totally forgotten about that. Time to re-watch it I guess..

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 02:09:50 PM »

You know, I haven't seen that movie in such a long time I'd totally forgotten about that. Time to re-watch it I guess..

Haha when I intially read your comment Rijst about the recruiting I thought of TMNT but for some reason did not think to post anything about it.  Glad you come through on that Adam.  and why haven't you guy's seen this in such a long time. I own the DVD 4 pack with the 3 originals and the animated one that came out in '08 or sometime around then. 
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 07:28:41 PM »
Haha when I intially read your comment Rijst about the recruiting I thought of TMNT but for some reason did not think to post anything about it.  Glad you come through on that Adam.  and why haven't you guy's seen this in such a long time. I own the DVD 4 pack with the 3 originals and the animated one that came out in '08 or sometime around then.

Because it came out in 1990, and Jessica and I are still making out way through 1985 on our epic quest to view all note-worthy (as determined by us) movies in roughly chronological order. We're getting reeeeeaaaaly close to being done with '85, so we're over the half-way point of the '80s.

I didn't see the third TMNT movie until about eight years ago. It was every bit as bad as I had heard.