Author Topic: Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 9 - Ninja Power Montage  (Read 13814 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 9 - Ninja Power Montage
« on: January 14, 2016, 08:49:59 PM »

Of course we can’t have an ‘80s-themed comic without some kind of training montage. This page took Jessica about twice as long as usual (hence it going up later than we’d like), but I think it turned out great.

I picture the “Ninja Power” song being a pump up rock song, perhaps in the style of Stan Bush (mostly known for “The Touch” from the Transformers animated movie) or the obscure metal band Lion (who provide the music for one of my favorite scenes from the Friday the 13th franchise, and who, coincidentally, recorded the theme-song for the animated Transformers movie).

Jessica Safron

• The Artist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 9 - Ninja Power Montage
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 11:54:44 PM »

Of course we can’t have an ‘80s-themed comic without some kind of training montage. This page took Jessica about twice as long as usual (hence it going up later than we’d like), but I think it turned out great.

I picture the “Ninja Power” song being a pump up rock song, perhaps in the style of Stan Bush (mostly known for “The Touch” from the Transformers animated movie) or the obscure metal band Lion (who provide the music for one of my favorite scenes from the Friday the 13th franchise, and who, coincidentally, recorded the theme-song for the animated Transformers movie).

Whoa, I had no idea Lion did that Transformers song (or any good song other than the Friday the 13th greatness). I saw the Transformers movie about ten years ago, before I would have been able to recognize that unmistakable badass Liony lameness.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 02:20:57 AM »
Amazingly done. I love how they just take this sudden transformation for granted and start trying stuff out. It's he going to go to school like this? Or will be figure out how to de-transform before that. Will he even want to? Is he going to get a job so a bouncer after getting fired from the previous one? So many questions, but love the page..  8)
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 02:36:14 AM »
Whoa, I had no idea Lion did that Transformers song (or any good song other than the Friday the 13th greatness). I saw the Transformers movie about ten years ago, before I would have been able to recognize that unmistakable badass Liony lameness.

Fuck you. Every song Lion has ever recorded is a masterpiece. Waaaaay better than White Lion.

Amazingly done. I love how they just take this sudden transformation for granted and start trying stuff out. It's he going to go to school like this? Or will be figure out how to de-transform before that. Will he even want to? Is he going to get a job so a bouncer after getting fired from the previous one? So many questions, but love the page..  8)

All good questions. It's currently Saturday afternoon in the comic, so most your questions will be answered once we get to Monday.

Oh man, I can't wait until we get to Monday...

Mumm-Rad

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 03:55:26 PM »
Love the action! This page is truly BAD ASS! 🏆

Rae

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 07:57:35 PM »
This page looks really awesome. :)

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »
Ok it's been awhile  since I've posted but trust me I've been reading every week. 

This page rocks.  I like Alex's standards for evaluating his strength. 
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 05:34:49 PM »
Ok it's been awhile  since I've posted but trust me I've been reading every week. 

This page rocks.  I like Alex's standards for evaluating his strength.

Holy shit, it's Michigander! Nice to see you back, dude.

Brianator

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 11:02:30 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but to me the gold standard of montage music is Push it to the limit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT8OU5WtfkQ).  Also, I like the shout-out to Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!! as that was my favourite NES game when I was young.  I only ever got as far as Mr. Sandman, and for a while I thought that wasn't too bad.  That is until I saw video of a guy getting to Mike Tyson-blindfolded (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvzIb53Lcno).  I also remember playing Ninja Gaiden as a kid and as far as I can recall, I didn't get very far. 

Oh, and by the way, I was wondering how I could post links on here without showing the URL.

Edit: Okay, I posted the right link for Push it to the limit this time.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:07:30 AM by Magnetron »
"My mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought  careening through a cosmic vapour of invention."-Hedley Lamarr (Blazing Saddles)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 07:50:43 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but to me the gold standard of montage music is Push it to the limit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd90-m7eO6Y).  Also, I like the shout-out to Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!! as that was my favourite NES game when I was young.  I only ever got as far as Mr. Sandman, and for a while I thought that wasn't too bad.  That is until I saw video of a guy getting to Mike Tyson-blindfolded (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvzIb53Lcno).  I also remember playing Ninja Gaiden as a kid and as far as I can recall, I didn't get very far.

It seems you linked to the wrong video with that first link, but I assume you meant to link to the Push it to the Limit montage in Scarface. Awesome song, and an awesome movie. The singer of that song is also the vocalist for Device, one of the most obscure and underrated synth pop '80s bands. They only put out a single album in '86, which was oddly called 22B3. It's totally rad, if you're into dark '80s synth pop.

You might be the first person to call out the Punch-Out!! reference, which is surprising, because I thought it was one of the most obvious references on the page. Someone called out the Gymkata reference almost instantly, which I didn't think anyone would notice. I think I was able to get up to Mike Tyson in Punch-Out!!, but my memory could be fucking with me and I might've only gotten to him by putting in the code to skip directly to him. Don't think I ever managed to beat him. Impressive video—it's always crazy to watch people plow through these games that seemed nearly impossible when I was a kid. The farthest I got in Ninja Gaiden was Bloody Malth, the red-masked badass lighting-hurling fucker that guards the end of one of the game's final levels.

Oh, and by the way, I was wondering how I could post links on here without showing the URL.

This is one of those things that can look complicated when an explanation is typed out, but it's actually super easy once you get the hang of it. I'll try to explain.

First, type out the text you want to turn into a link. Then highlight just that text and click the "Insert Hyperlink" button (the Earth-looking icon that's below the Italics button). That'll envelope the text with the code that turns it into a clickable link, but now we need to add an actual link to it. To add the URL, you need to fuck with that code, but just a little. Place your cursor just after the "L" in the first bracket-enclosed URL "[url]" (so not the one that's preceded by a backslash), and add an equals sign "=". Next, copy the URL you want the text to link to and then paste that URL directly after the equals sign you added. That's it, the text will become a link directing to the URL you specified.

So in short, you highlight the text you want to become a link, you click the globe button, and then you toss an equals sign and past the URL just before the end bracket ( this guy: ] ) of the start of the url code, the one that looks like this: [url] . You don't fuck with the second bracket-enclosed url, the one with the backslash. Hope that makes sense.

Brianator

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 11:17:22 PM »

You might be the first person to call out the Punch-Out!! reference, which is surprising, because I thought it was one of the most obvious references on the page. Someone called out the Gymkata reference almost instantly, which I didn't think anyone would notice.

I looked a bit into Gymkata and it looks like something Rifftrax would make fun of.

P.S: Thanks for helping me out with links info!

"My mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought  careening through a cosmic vapour of invention."-Hedley Lamarr (Blazing Saddles)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 02:32:07 AM »
I looked a bit into Gymkata and it looks like something Rifftrax would make fun of.

Oh, totally. It's an insane movie. I'm actually surprised it never got the MST3K treatment.

P.S: Thanks for helping me out with links info!

No problem, dude.

Edit: Fuck, I just realized this was my 666th post. I should've never posted again.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 03:08:56 AM by Adam Dravian »