Author Topic: Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 25 - Computer Journal  (Read 13611 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 25 - Computer Journal
« on: June 11, 2016, 10:08:49 AM »

I can't read this page without hearing the calming score to everyone's favorite show about a teen doctor. Yeah, I know Doogie Howser M.D. is mostly known as a '90s show, but it started in '89, and the reference was too fitting not to use.

I'd say there's a decent chance that peeping ninja is named Vinny.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 06:14:28 AM by Adam Dravian »

Red

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 25 - Computer Journal
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 06:04:17 PM »
Who else will these ninjas spy on next???

Rae

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 07:58:07 PM »
Totally digging those space posters. :)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 08:11:23 PM »
Totally digging those space posters. :)

It looks like Jessica spent time on one of them, and then totally phoned in the other.

Matty2310

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 12:34:35 AM »
What happens after 11:59:59, 31 December 198X? Does the year change in any way or does it just become 198X again?
I listen to 80's music for a living, how about you?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 06:23:45 AM »
What happens after 11:59:59, 31 December 198X? Does the year change in any way or does it just become 198X again?

It becomes the next 198X year (at least it does until we decide to have it become 199X--if we ever do). Somehow the characters in the SN8X-verse can differentiate between the various 198X years, while we can't. So two students might have a conversation that goes like this:

STUDENT 1: Are you in the class of 198X?
STUDENT 2: Ugh, I wish I was graduating that soon. I'm in the class of 198X.
STUDENT 1: Oh, you look older than that. Were you held back or something?

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »
Who else will these ninjas spy on next???

My bet is on Veronica..

It becomes the next 198X year (at least it does until we decide to have it become 199X--if we ever do). Somehow the characters in the SN8X-verse can differentiate between the various 198X years, while we can't. So two students might have a conversation that goes like this:

STUDENT 1: Are you in the class of 198X?
STUDENT 2: Ugh, I wish I was graduating that soon. I'm in the class of 198X.
STUDENT 1: Oh, you look older than that. Were you held back or something?

Maybe it's like Chinese, where the tone and pronunciation determine what the word means. There is 198X, 198X and 198X..
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 08:08:18 PM »
Maybe it's like Chinese, where the tone and pronunciation determine what the word means. There is 198X, 198X and 198X..

That's how Chinese works? Weird. How the fuck does that work in text?

And here's an exclusive heads up to anyone reading this here forum thread: I'm currently working as an armed security guard (my first armed gig) at a jewelry store that's being remodeled. And for this entire week I'm working every day, with just enough down time between shifts for me to go home, sleep, shower, and get ready to go back to work. That's why there's no blog post this week. But this gig should be done by Monday or so.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:26:16 AM by Adam Dravian »

kooky kabuki

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 12:29:52 AM »
Hi, discovered this comic a month or two ago, it is the most radical thing I've ever read! Love your work Adam and Jessica!

Just felt the need to point something out, since nobody else has (and it's trivial and nerdy as fuck, but what else is the internet for): Joe's journal says the date is Sat May 3, which as I discovered only occurred in the 80's in 1980 and 1986. That narrows down which year 198X is! But I suppose if it's in an alternate universe the calendar wouldn't need to be the same...

Anyway, hope that security job went smoothly, and you didn't have to deal with satanic ninjas, and that the elderly owner had a hot granddaughter who wanted to bone you!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:33:47 AM by kooky kabuki »

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 01:38:01 AM »
Hi, discovered this comic a month or two ago, it is the most radical thing I've ever read! Love your work Adam and Jessica!

Thanks, dude! That's always super awesome to hear. So how'd you stumble upon this little hidden gem of the Internet? Oh, and welcome to the forum. That's a totally excellent name and avatar. ::cyber high five::

Just felt the need to point something out, since nobody else has (and it's trivial and nerdy as fuck, but what else is the internet for): Joe's journal says the date is Sat May 3, which as I discovered only occurred in the 80's in 1980 and 1986. That narrows down which year 198X is! But I suppose if it's in an alternate universe the calendar wouldn't need to be the same...

Nice detective work. Now if you want to get really nerdy and pedantic, you could also take into account that the moon is apparently full on May 1st, the night of Eddie's birthday part at the start of the comic...

Not that it matters, since it is indeed in an alternate universe that borrows elements from every year of that most radical of decades. 198X is essentially every year in the '80s, while at the same time it is none of them. In the horror novel I'm working on (unrelated to SN8X, aside from the fact that I wrote it, Jessica's illustrating it, and it takes place in the '80s), the setting and the tone are much closer to reality, so I actually did take into account the real world calendar of the year it takes place (1989). I even thought of incorporating the actual real-world weather, but I decided I'd rather use whatever weather best fit the mood of the story rather than be that obsessively true to reality. Especially since the story takes place in a made-up down and includes supernatural elements.

Anyway, hope that security job went smoothly, and you didn't have to deal with satanic ninjas, and that the elderly owner had a hot granddaughter who wanted to bone you!

Thanks! I'm still there now, actually. Thankfully, the store's in the mall, and the mall has free wi-fi. We'll see how long SatanNinja.com remains unblocked. Also, thanks for making me realize how much I'm like Viper. We're basically one and the same, with the only real difference being that I have less hair, less melanin, and just a tad less muscle-mass.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 07:48:01 AM »
Also, thanks for making me realize how much I'm like Viper. We're basically one and the same, with the only real difference being that I have less hair, less melanin, and just a tad less muscle-mass.

Oh man, I love Viper. I think you need to lift just a little more to be like him though haha.

I'd never think to look up the year in which the 3rd of May falls on a Saturday. I guess I'm too much of an introvert to think about the real world. Was there any day that date didn't fall on in the 80s?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:49:46 AM by Rijst »
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

kooky kabuki

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »
So how'd you stumble upon this little hidden gem of the Internet? Oh, and welcome to the forum. That's a totally excellent name and avatar. ::cyber high five::
::cyber five received:: Thanks! I didn't want just any tmnt image, I wanted a bizarre tmnt related product.
You have Maddox to thank for my fandom, after he was bragging about his inclusion on facebook.

Now if you want to get really nerdy and pedantic, you could also take into account that the moon is apparently full on May 1st, the night of Eddie's birthday part at the start of the comic...
Not that it matters, since it is indeed in an alternate universe that borrows elements from every year of that most radical of decades. 198X is essentially every year in the '80s, while at the same time it is none of them. In the horror novel I'm working on (unrelated to SN8X, aside from the fact that I wrote it, Jessica's illustrating it, and it takes place in the '80s), the setting and the tone are much closer to reality, so I actually did take into account the real world calendar of the year it takes place (1989). I even thought of incorporating the actual real-world weather, but I decided I'd rather use whatever weather best fit the mood of the story rather than be that obsessively true to reality. Especially since the story takes place in a made-up down and includes supernatural elements.

:o I didn't even consider luna cycles!
Of course alternate universe, 198X is a concept I adore.
So I see you are way on top of this shit.
Looking forward to that horror novel!

Also, thanks for making me realize how much I'm like Viper.
I like to think there's a little Viper in all of us  ;)

Was there any day that date didn't fall on in the 80s?
Nope, pretty sure every date falls on every day of the week in that span of time. Except the good ole 29th of Feb.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 09:24:58 PM »
Also, thanks for making me realize how much I'm like Viper. We're basically one and the same, with the only real difference being that I have less hair, less melanin, and just a tad less muscle-mass.

Oh man, I love Viper. I think you need to lift just a little more to be like him though haha.

What are you talking about? Why are you laughing?!

::cyber five received:: Thanks! I didn't want just any tmnt image, I wanted a bizarre tmnt related product.

Right on. Speaking of bizarre TMNT related stuff, did you see these posts in the off topic section of the forum? It's good stuff. And by good, I mean terrible.

https://satanninja.com/forum/index.php/topic,200.0.html

https://satanninja.com/forum/index.php/topic,125.0.html

You have Maddox to thank for my fandom, after he was bragging about his inclusion on facebook.

Ah, it seems a lot of our best fans come from Maddox. We've somehow gotten lucky enough to only attract his good fans and not his super shitty ones. We'll be doing some stuff with that dude in the near future.

Looking forward to that horror novel!

Awesome. It's called Grim October, and I'm curious to see how Satan Ninja fans react to it, since it's so different. I was going to release it last fall, but it wasn't quite ready by the time October had rolled around. I could have released it in November, but it felt dumb not to release a Halloween-themed horror novel in October, so was shelved for a year. Gives me even more time to perfect it.

Also, thanks for making me realize how much I'm like Viper.
I like to think there's a little Viper in all of us  ;)

Oh man, I hope for Viper's sake that there's not a little Viper in Jennifer.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:30:25 PM by Adam Dravian »