Author Topic: 8-bit Matrix  (Read 8853 times)

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
8-bit Matrix
« on: October 17, 2014, 10:53:31 AM »
The Matrix doesn't really have anything to do with the 80's, but 8-bit consoles are and this is an 8-bit version of a Matrix scene. I thought I'd share..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMpZrta2Cwc
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 8-bit Matrix
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 01:50:14 AM »
Ha, I love the voices.

I've never actually watched either of the Matrix sequels. Maybe if someone were to edit the entire movies to use 8-bit sound effects, I'd give them a shot.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 05:13:52 AM »
The sequels lack some of the atmosphere of the first installment but I think that's simply because they're sequels. By this time viewers know what the Matrix is, Neo is super powerful so to compensate his enemies need to be more powerful as well. This leads to a sort of major cyclical conspiracy set up by the machines.

The guy in charge in the video is some sort of rogue program with an army of fancy helpers etc. The third movie is a fusion between a Transformers episode (from the 80s cartoon series, that is) and Dragonball Z. The transformers bit happens in the human city and the Dragonball Z battle happens in the Matrix. Needless to say all ends sort of well. I quite liked the ending but lots of people thought it was rubbish. I wonder what they thought the ending would be like that made them so disappointed..

The more I think about it now, the more I think the whole concept of the Matrix represents the world's financial system  (either on purpose or by accident).

Hope I didn't give too much away, should you still want to watch it at some point..

Ghoul

• Weblord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Satan Ninja 198X
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 05:08:57 PM »
Watching that made me realize that the choreography of the fighting is so much more interesting in The Matrix than it was in the Star Wars prequels. They're both too clean in my opinion.. could use a bit of grit and emotion.. but The Matrix does it a lot better.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »
Hope I didn't give too much away, should you still want to watch it at some point..

Since I do plan on watching the sequels someday, I mostly skimmed over your post, Rijst.

I saw the first Matrix movie when it first came out and I thought it was great. But I hated the impact it had on the film industry. Action films were never the same post-Matrix and that bummed me out. Plus, I was annoyed by how ubiquitous The Matrix quickly became. Everywhere you looked, black trench coats, wraparound sunglasses, and people with that, uh, "raining binary" screensaver. By the time the sequels came out, I was sick of the whole Matrix thing.

Also, Neo seemed like an invincible god at the end of the original, so there didn't seem to be much of a point in making sequels. It seemed like they'd be as dull as trying to beat a game with an invincibility code on.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »

Since I do plan on watching the sequels someday, I mostly skimmed over your post, Rijst.

Since you said it'd take an 8-bit version I thought it was ok to drop some spoilers.. ;)

I saw the first Matrix movie when it first came out and I thought it was great. But I hated the impact it had on the film industry. Action films were never the same post-Matrix and that bummed me out. Plus, I was annoyed by how ubiquitous The Matrix quickly became. Everywhere you looked, black trench coats, wraparound sunglasses, and people with that, uh, "raining binary" screensaver. By the time the sequels came out, I was sick of the whole Matrix thing.

Also, Neo seemed like an invincible god at the end of the original, so there didn't seem to be much of a point in making sequels. It seemed like they'd be as dull as trying to beat a game with an invincibility code on.

It was definitely "hot" at the time. I haven't seen the films in a few years to be honest, it probably comes across as dated by now. The moves Neo makes in this clip after he jumps onto the balcony are just plain silly.

Watching that made me realize that the choreography of the fighting is so much more interesting in The Matrix than it was in the Star Wars prequels. They're both too clean in my opinion.. could use a bit of grit and emotion.. but The Matrix does it a lot better.

Which movies do you think portray this well? Most fights in Game of Thrones are quite dirty and do this really well in my opinion. A bit exaggerated on the splattering maybe..

Grit is the new word in entertainment these days I think. It seems there are very few all-out good or bad guys anymore. Heroes are often also criminals, drug addicts or both, living in the "real world" and often having some sort of fatal flaw. A bit like in ancient Greek tragedies really. Maybe that's just the limited selection of stuff I watch though, not having a tv etc..

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 04:32:59 AM »
Since you said it'd take an 8-bit version I thought it was ok to drop some spoilers.. ;)

A totally fair assumption. But ever since Jessica and I started dating she's been determined to someday make me sit though the Matrix sequels, so I can feel the same sense of disappointment she had to endure.

Which movies do you think portray this well?

I'm no Ghoul, but I'll answer anyway. My favorite fight scenes are ones that have a lot of emotional buildup, and then are quick and fucking brutal. A History of Violence is a perfect example of my favorite kind of action scenes.

I'm not into drawn-out Dragon Ball Z-esque battles, because I think it robs the violence of its emotional impact and if a fight scene drags on too long, I find myself getting bored.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 05:03:26 PM »
My favorite fight scenes are ones that have a lot of emotional buildup, and then are quick and fucking brutal. A History of Violence is a perfect example of my favorite kind of action scenes.

I'm not into drawn-out Dragon Ball Z-esque battles, because I think it robs the violence of its emotional impact and if a fight scene drags on too long, I find myself getting bored.

I haven't seen A History of Violence but I agree with what you're saying. Long one vs one fights are unrealistic in my opinion, you can only get punched in the face/ribs/wherever before you run out of steam. I think this is where the Matrix gets it wrong, it's too much like a dance. Prepare to be bored..