Author Topic: Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 18 - King of the Space Pirates  (Read 10436 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 18 - King of the Space Pirates
« on: April 09, 2016, 11:05:27 PM »

Xoddom might be a little familiar to some of you. That’s right, we’ve finally come to the thinly veiled Maddox cameo we talked about doing forever ago. Of course, we've eightiesified him.

For those or you not familiar with Maddox, he’s the mastermind behind The Best Page in the Universe (currently in its April Fools mode), The Biggest Problem in the Universe (our favorite podcast), and he’s written the books The Alphabet of Manliness and I Am Better Than Your Kids (AKA, Crappy Children's Artwork).

Jessica and I have been fans of Maddox’s brand of satire since around the late 90s/early 2000s. In fact, I once considered having a website where I would post rants and reviews, but I decided against it because I realized it’d probably seem like I was a total Maddox rip-off.

Years ago, Maddox put out a call for artists to do some minor Photoshop work for him, and Jessica answered the call. She kept in touch with him, so once we launched the comic, she passed it along for him to check out and he thought it was awesome.

For the first several months after our website went live, the only people checking it were our friends. However, that changed after Maddox saw it and gave it his public approval. Even now, two years later, a lot of our most dedicated fans originally discovered us through Maddox. That’s why we wanted to thank the dude with a cameo.

Originally, his cameo was going to be really brief. Perhaps a panel or two and a line of dialogue. However, as I wrote this page, his character evolved in my head into a former lover of Ket’s, and I ended up having too much fun with the banter between them.

We have some other cameos planned for the comic, as our way of thanking our most ardent supporters. Of course, like Maddox, anyone who appears in the comic will be getting an ‘80s makeover and a subtle name change.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:56:13 PM by Adam Dravian »

Matty2310

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 18 - King of the Space Pirates
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 01:14:08 AM »
He kind of looks like the default male character from Mass Effect. No idea what influences that robot suit comes from. I initially thought that thing from Aliens but it looks too different. Maybe Guts Man from MegaMan.
"King of the Bedroom" that made me laugh.

We have some other cameos planned for the comic, as our way of thanking our most ardent supporters. Of course, like Maddox, anyone who appears in the comic will be getting an ‘80s makeover and a subtle name change.

Does this mean that yours truly will make an appearance in the comic book? Or did my very brief breakup put you through too much emotional distress that it will take time for you to forgive me?
I listen to 80's music for a living, how about you?

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 02:17:46 AM »
This page is hilarious! The banter is excellent, he can be King of that too.

Could it be that Xoddam is looking for that glove too? Or is it really just for the sex?
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 05:41:24 AM »
He kind of looks like the default male character from Mass Effect. No idea what influences that robot suit comes from. I initially thought that thing from Aliens but it looks too different. Maybe Guts Man from MegaMan.

The influence for the robot suit isn't Guts Man or the suit from Aliens. I'll say that it's more obscure than those, and that it's an '80s reference that relates to Maddox.

Does this mean that yours truly will make an appearance in the comic book? Or did my very brief breakup put you through too much emotional distress that it will take time for you to forgive me?

No promises, but it could happen. We'll see how long you stick around. ;)

We've come up with some ideas for other cameos for people that have been supportive of SN8X, but it might be awhile before it'll make sense for them to pop up in the comic. Basically, no one should expect it to happen, and that way they can be surprised if it someday does.

This page is hilarious! The banter is excellent, he can be King of that too.

Thanks, Science Dude. I was happy with how this turned out. Even though the cameo ballooned way beyond what I had set out to make.

Could it be that Xoddam is looking for that glove too? Or is it really just for the sex?

You wouldn't understand.

Rae

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »
Dune reference?!

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 12:43:50 AM »

Mumm-Rad

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 02:46:49 PM »
Best page yet! Maddox surrounded by T&A! Dick's going to be seriously jealous!