Author Topic: Any plans for this holiday weekend?  (Read 9482 times)

Red

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
Any plans for this holiday weekend?
« on: May 28, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »
If any?!?!? :) ;) :D ;D 8)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Any plans for this holiday weekend?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 04:39:09 AM »
Jessica's family is having a gathering over on the other side of our state, so tomorrow we'll be heading that way. Jessica was hoping to have the newest page done before we leave, but it's looking like it'll either end up being late or she'll put up a not-quite finished version and then update it later.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 03:46:29 PM »
On Saturday I rowed as usual and we had a dinner in the evening. On Sunday we messed around in the garden and enjoyed the fine weather with a barbecue. Yesterday we didn't do much at all to be honest..
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:40:21 PM »
On Saturday I rowed as usual and we had a dinner in the evening. On Sunday we messed around in the garden and enjoyed the fine weather with a barbecue. Yesterday we didn't do much at all to be honest..

Sounds like a great weekend Rijst!  Here in the States it was Memorial day honoring those who lost thier life in service of the country.  Do you guy's celebrate that as well? I know Canada has Victoria day the weekend before our Memorial day. 

Jessica's family is having a gathering over on the other side of our state, so tomorrow we'll be heading that way. Jessica was hoping to have the newest page done before we leave, but it's looking like it'll either end up being late or she'll put up a not-quite finished version and then update it later.

Where were you at on this side of the Mitten?  Hope you guys enjoyed getting away from the comic for a minute and relaxing. 

It was mostly work for me, doing some landscaping projects at my parents house.  Did sneak in a boat ride and a great BBQ with some friends though. 

Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 09:42:25 PM »
Where were you at on this side of the Mitten?  Hope you guys enjoyed getting away from the comic for a minute and relaxing.

We were over near Brighton. We didn't do anything too interesting. I made Jessica feel awkward as I talked to her family about religion. We made some smores around a fire (are smores a thing in Europe, Rijst?). Oh, and I cringed as I watched a little kid play classic Sonic and Mario games without ever running, and thus he died repeatedly.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 05:13:36 PM »

We were over near Brighton. We didn't do anything too interesting. I made Jessica feel awkward as I talked to her family about religion. We made some smores around a fire (are smores a thing in Europe, Rijst?). Oh, and I cringed as I watched a little kid play classic Sonic and Mario games without ever running, and thus he died repeatedly.

Sounds like a good time.  Brighton is about an 1 1/5 hours from my place, seems like a pretty nice area. I've been there but never spent time there.  I can't believe you didn't show that kid what's up at least race through that 1st level of Sonic and destroy Dr. Robotnic
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »

Sounds like a great weekend Rijst!  Here in the States it was Memorial day honoring those who lost thier life in service of the country.  Do you guy's celebrate that as well? I know Canada has Victoria day the weekend before our Memorial day. 

There are similar days here in the UK and in the Netherlands where I'm originally from. Both have it on different days though, in NL it's on the 4th of May and in the UK it's on the 11th of November. It's more of a memorial than a celebration, although on the 5th of May it's liberation day in the Netherlands where we celebrate being liberated from the Nazis.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 04:52:40 PM »

Sounds like a great weekend Rijst!  Here in the States it was Memorial day honoring those who lost their life in service of the country.  Do you guy's celebrate that as well? I know Canada has Victoria day the weekend before our Memorial day. 

There are similar days here in the UK and in the Netherlands where I'm originally from. Both have it on different days though, in NL it's on the 4th of May and in the UK it's on the 11th of November. It's more of a memorial than a celebration, although on the 5th of May it's liberation day in the Netherlands where we celebrate being liberated from the Nazis.

Awesome I love learning about that stuff.  I know a few European countries have a Liberation day, is that celebrated like we do Independence Day here in the States? 

On an entirely different topic, How much of Europe have you traveled Rijst?  I've had several friends and family live around Europe and travel through the years I can't wait to make my own trip.  I'd love to see the cities in Ireland, Scotland, and Germany where my family is from.   I'd also love to see where Hemingway hung out in Paris, Run with the bulls in Pamplona and all kinds of other things tourist do lol.

[Edit: Your quote boxes got fucked up, so I fixed 'em for you. -A.D.]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 06:25:30 AM by Adam Dravian »

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 03:34:28 PM »

Sounds like a great weekend Rijst!  Here in the States it was Memorial day honoring those who lost their life in service of the country.  Do you guy's celebrate that as well? I know Canada has Victoria day the weekend before our Memorial day. 

Awesome I love learning about that stuff.  I know a few European countries have a Liberation day, is that celebrated like we do Independence Day here in the States? 

On an entirely different topic, How much of Europe have you traveled Rijst?  I've had several friends and family live around Europe and travel through the years I can't wait to make my own trip.  I'd love to see the cities in Ireland, Scotland, and Germany where my family is from.   I'd also love to see where Hemingway hung out in Paris, Run with the bulls in Pamplona and all kinds of other things tourist do lol.

[Edit: Your quote boxes got fucked up, so I fixed 'em for you. -A.D.]

I haven't traveled much to be honest. The thing about Europe is that it's so diverse it's scary. My home country of the Netherlands alone feels so different after an hours drive while it's basically next door. Very flat, the people are direct and in my opinion a bit deluded but hey, maybe I'm the idiot.

I've been to one Greek island, Samos. Venice in Italy is beautiful but the canals smelled when I was there because it was very hot.  I've driven around south-west Germany, that was lots of fun.  Just find a camp site mid-afternoon and drink local wine and enjoy the scenery. I've seen bits of France and Spain but nothing extensive. Scotland is stunning, amazingly dramatic landscapes. The language is incomprehensible sometimes though but it sounds amazing. Someone I know said Scottish people talk like the landscape, it goes up and down in tone, it's brilliant.

Now I live  in England, entirely different altogether,  both in landscape as in culture. This September we're going to Tuscany in Italy for our honeymoon, I'm quite thrilled because that place has such an interesting history. We're going to see Machiavelli's house, I insisted on that.

I guess I've seen quite a lot but there's a lot I haven't seen. Like I said it's very diverse so you won't get bored of you ever make the trip.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 09:44:11 PM »
Man, I've hardly traveled within the States, let alone another country. The only other country I've set foot in is Canada, right across from Detroit, Michigan. Some friends and I went there when we were 18 to take advantage of the lowered drinking age and awesome strip clubs. Aside from the weird-looking money, it hardly felt like another country, though.

Within the States, I've been around the midwest for concerts (both playing and attending), and spent about a month in Florida, staying with an ex-girlfriend. Farthest west I've been is Denver, Colorado, which my band traveled to for a disappointingly small show. I know people in Portland, Oregon that I seriously need to visit someday. Jessica and I will be traveling to California soon to hang with Maddox.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 03:33:37 AM »
Man, I've hardly traveled within the States, let alone another country. The only other country I've set foot in is Canada, right across from Detroit, Michigan. Some friends and I went there when we were 18 to take advantage of the lowered drinking age and awesome strip clubs. Aside from the weird-looking money, it hardly felt like another country, though.

Within the States, I've been around the midwest for concerts (both playing and attending), and spent about a month in Florida, staying with an ex-girlfriend. Farthest west I've been is Denver, Colorado, which my band traveled to for a disappointingly small show. I know people in Portland, Oregon that I seriously need to visit someday. Jessica and I will be traveling to California soon to hang with Maddox.

Ok maybe I have travelled a bit, but it's so easy in Europe these days. Especially in the Netherlands, it only takes a 2-3 hour drive to get to Germany or Belgium. Europe has always been very diverse culturally.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »
That's awesome Rijst.  It probably don't seem like much but in the distance you traveled to get to all those diverse cultures would only be like part of the mid-west here in the States.  While it's actually not hard to travel here distance can make it pricey.   

As Adam had talked about Canada, at least for Ontario it's the same.  I actually live on the river and have a great view of the Canadian shore line, and take a couple trips a year over usually for fishing.