Author Topic: Giving the following the 198X treatment  (Read 7614 times)

Red

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
Giving the following the 198X treatment
« on: August 11, 2016, 08:48:43 PM »
What would the 198X names be for the following...

Seduction of the Innocent by Dr. Frederic Wertham M.D.

Gladiator by Philip Wylie

Doctor Who

Asterix the Gaul

Clint Eastwood spaghetti western 'Dollars' trilogy films(A Fistful of Dollars,For a Few Dollars More and The Good,The Bad and The Ugly)

Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds

Anyone familiar with all or some of the above listed???

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Giving the following the 198X treatment
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:06:08 AM »

Doctor Who

Asterix the Gaul

Clint Eastwood spaghetti western 'Dollars' trilogy films(A Fistful of Dollars,For a Few Dollars More and The Good,The Bad and The Ugly)

Anyone familiar with all or some of the above listed???

Interesting choices, Red. They seem a bit all over the place. The ones I had to Google were Seduction of the Innocent, Gladiator, and Asterix the Gaul. Gladiator seems vaguely familiar to me, I must've read about it a long time ago. I've read a bit about the '50s moral panic over comic books, so I've probably seen Seduction of the Innocent referenced, but I know I've never read it.

I'm pretty familiar with Doctor Who because I have a lot of mega fans in my extended friend group, but I've personally only seen a single episode, which was from the David Tennant era. I was surprised at how cheesy and low budget the special effects were, considering the popularity of the show. It looked about on par with Ghostwriter.

Holy shit, while I was looking up the intro to Ghostwriter that I linked to up above, I came across this amazing scene from the show where a very young Julia Stiles schools the less hip kids on what cyberpunk is.

Anyway, as for what titles these would have in the SN8X-verse ... I'll stew on it for a couple days to give someone else a chance to give  a shot before me.

Brianator

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »
As a Canadian I  had to take a lot of French courses and I think I remember Asterix being mentioned in one of my workbooks.  However, I can't think of an alternate name for it. 

As for Doctor Who, I would say, "Doctor Anonymous" since the doctor doesn't have an actual name and because of the fact the doctor "has the ability to regenerate when his body is mortally damaged, taking on a new appearance and personality."  (I looked up that last part on Wikipedia)

In regards to Seduction of the Innocent, I might suggest something like "Temptation of the Youth", since that whole thing was about comic books supposedly causing juvenile delinquency.  I also had to look that one up.

For the Clint Eastwood films, I might go with " A Handful of Cash", "For a Few Bucks More" and "The Benevolent, The Malevolent and the Repugnant".  Okay, I think the last one might sound a bit too highbrow.  Anyways, you can go a whole bunch of different ways with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly if you use a thesaurus. 

I can't think of anything for Gladiator, plus I'm not familiar with it.  As for Thunderbirds, maybe you could go with "Super Marionettes" since the show used something called "Supermarionation".
"My mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought  careening through a cosmic vapour of invention."-Hedley Lamarr (Blazing Saddles)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:39:48 AM »

Great job, Microwave Dude. I'll give it a shot now.

Comics Will Rape Your Child's Purity by Doc Worryem

Proto-Superhero Warrior by Gordon Wright
On the cover there's a blurb that states, "Read the riveting tale of the world's first super human going out of his way to never use his powers! Wow!"

Doctor Who

Professor Huh

Asterix the Gaul

Uh ... Axterios the Celt

::shurg::

The Cash Trilogy
Gripping Cash
Gripping Lots of Cash
The Cash, The Hand, and The Gripping

All starring Squint Dawntimber

Hmm... I guess I'll go with Puppetplanes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:25:37 PM by Adam Dravian »

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »
Asterix the Gaul

Uh ... Axterios the Celt

Asterisk the Celt..  8)
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:29:36 PM »
Asterix the Gaul

Uh ... Axterios the Celt

Asterisk the Celt..  8)

I actually considered that, but thought Asterisk was too slight of a modification. I also considered something Star the Celt. It'd also help if I were more familiar with the comic.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 04:08:44 PM »
Asterix the Gaul

Uh ... Axterios the Celt

Asterisk the Celt..  8)

I actually considered that, but thought Asterisk was too slight of a modification. I also considered something Star the Celt. It'd also help if I were more familiar with the comic.

I only really know the Dutch translations (from the original French I believe), and only from reading it when I was much, much younger. All the names are jokes on modern concepts (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix_the_Gaul for spoilers and examples of names in the comic) so anything goes. Tilde the Celt?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 02:08:32 AM »
Asterix the Gaul

Uh ... Axterios the Celt

Asterisk the Celt..  8)

I only really know the Dutch translations (from the original French I believe), and only from reading it when I was much, much younger. All the names are jokes on modern concepts (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix_the_Gaul for spoilers and examples of names in the comic) so anything goes. Tilde the Celt?

Well then, I change my answer to Pound Sign the Celt.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 01:54:23 PM »
I would definitely read that!