Author Topic: Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 5 - Lord Hreigh  (Read 12222 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 5 - Lord Hreigh
« on: July 14, 2014, 03:57:35 AM »

We considered using Klingon for the alien language, since the original Klingon dictionary was published in the mid-80s, but decided against it. We also considered using the language invented for Quest For Fire, but that was too limited. (By the way, I hadn't seen Quest For Fire until last week. It was awesome.)

I had written an alternate version of this scene in which Lord Hreigh got his face sliced off instead of getting kicked into the pipe that impales his guts. Then the bounty hunters would have had trouble getting their little device to scan his sliced-off face in order to make a proper ID. However, at that point I only knew Lord Hreigh was some kind of "mutant alien" and I was picturing him having more of a human face. The idea doesn't work so well with him as a kind of dragon/triceratops/human hybrid. But that's fine, because it would've caused the scene to go on longer and we've got a whole lot of stuff to try and fit into this issue.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:26:51 PM by Adam Dravian »

Jessica Safron

• The Artist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 5 - Lord Hreigh
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:19:41 PM »
My favorite thing about this page is that I somehow managed to (unintentionally) make the background in panel three look like an obvious matte painting. Probably something to do with the low contrast; needs darker shadows and the light sources look oddly dim. Whatever. Better than the effects in Metal Storm, right?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:07:12 PM by Jessica Safron »

Ghoul

• Weblord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Satan Ninja 198X
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »
Is the name Hreigh from anything in particular?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 11:14:05 PM »
I actually don't remember how I came up with Hreigh.

Jessica Safron

• The Artist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 04:21:11 AM »
That'll probably bother me forever that you can't remember where you got that name. Let's just change it. ;)

By the way, my real favorite thing about this page is the pint-sized bounty hunter. I'd love to see action figures of these two someday. Along with pretty much every other character in the comic, of course.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »
Poor Hreigh, first his mates were shot down, then he gets round-house kicked in the face and now he's decapitated. He also seems to have stitches in his neck, he's had a tough, tough life..

I'd like a pint-sized bounty hunter pint glass actually..
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 01:34:30 AM »
Nah, don't feel bad for Lord Hreigh. The dude had it pretty good for awhile before our bounty hunters came along and fucked up his day.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 03:29:56 AM »
At least they could've let him finish home improvement project, the place is a mess!

Although I guess these things always take forever. Was the bounty issued by the plumber for not paying him?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 06:49:20 AM »
Why fix the place up when Lord Hreigh could make a killing by charging bands to film post-apocalyptic music videos there? Those were pretty hot in the '80s.

Actually, when I wrote the script all I said was that the bounty hunters were killing mutants in some kind of wasteland setting. Jessica's the one who decided to add the vehicle chase and create a skull-entranced lair leading to an ancient spaceship that had long-ago crashed into the side of a mountain. And now that I think about it, that alteration led to us making a pretty significant change to the comic that I can't talk about yet.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 04:25:16 AM »
So the story lines are not all set yet?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »
I have a big long detailed synopsis of the whole plot (and a bunch of ideas for a sequel, if we decide to continue it after this original story arc is complete in four years or so). However, it's not set in stone. So every once in awhile, if Jessica or I come up with a new idea or a change that we think makes the comic better, then we'll implement it. Then we read-through the synopsis with the change in mind and figure out all the trickle-down effects. So the story is mostly set, but it's malleable. The core components of the story has remained pretty static, however.