Author Topic: Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 11 - Grandma McCarthy  (Read 11309 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 11 - Grandma McCarthy
« on: August 23, 2014, 01:15:28 AM »

Part of the script for this page got cut in order to speed things along. We liked it, but it wasn't very essential. Here's the little deleted sequence:

[Eddie is sitting down in the grass and fuming at Dean while Snacky continues to lick him. Alex continues to stand near him.]

DEAN: Look, just to show there aren’t any hard feelings, here’s a peace offering.
 (holding out a hundred dollar bill toward Eddie) A hundred bucks for the pig. That way you can buy some clothes that actually fit and I can have a year supply of bacon.

[Eddie says nothing.]

DEAN: No? Your loss. (Dean puts the money back in his wallet)

DEAN: Let’s go, Trent. That pig is grossing me out.

That also shows you how bare-bones my scripts for this comic are. In most cases I leave it up to Jessica to decide when to switch to new panels, what angles to use, and how much of the script to depict on each page. Sometimes, if I have a clear picture in my head that I feel strongly about, then I'll go into more detail, but usually I leave it up to her because I trust her judgment.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:17:37 AM by Adam Dravian »

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
Re: Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 11 - Grandma McCarthy
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 06:00:15 AM »
Even his Gran is taking the piss? Haha I expect Eddie to flip out soon..
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Rae

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:19:57 PM »
Wow, wicked Gma Burn. :P

aett

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 02:58:00 AM »
Not much for me to say on the Babe front (I like the pose that the girls are doing in panel 1 - they have this "OMG WHY ARE WE STILL STANDING AROUND HERE FOR, WE JUST WANTED ICE CREAM" expression) but another enjoyable page.

Like Rijst said, I'm expecting Eddie to break down any time now. What a shitty five minutes.

I think Trent is shooting for "Bully of the Year" award - paying people to do his homework and then inviting them to parties so they can get laid? Almost can't blame Joe for not having Eddie's back.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 06:58:41 AM »
Not much for me to say on the Babe front

Are you kidding me? Did you not notice that hot bending-over action in panel 7?

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:20:33 AM »
Haha ageist prick..  ;D

Seriously though, she may not be up there with the others in the looks department but she's definitely scoring high on the bully scale. None of this crude pushing someone's face into the ice cream cones or letting him do other people's homework. She just casually makes nasty comments in a way that makes Dean and Trent look like amateurs.

By the way, is Trent in college as well? If so then if Joe can do his homework for him he must be some undiscovered genius am I right?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:32:55 AM by Rijst »
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 03:34:47 PM »
Yep, Trent's a college freshman, like Dean. I wouldn't say it requires Joe to be a real genius ( ;D ) in order to do a little Science 101 homework (after all, he's only a few months away from being a college boy himself), but he's certainly ahead of the curve, at least when it comes to science.

As for Grandma McCarthy, I'll just say that she's a bit eccentric and can be quite matter-of-fact and aloof, but she doesn't have malicious intent.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 07:13:26 PM »
I'm assuming this is a wrap on that 3 page sequence of events.  I think you guys made the right move by cutting a bit of that dialog out.  It may be because I'm reading week to week but this could have gotten way to drawn out. 

Grandma is a great addition to the character development of Eddie.  Plus she's funny.
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:01:32 AM »
I'm assuming this is a wrap on that 3 page sequence of events.  I think you guys made the right move by cutting a bit of that dialog out.  It may be because I'm reading week to week but this could have gotten way to drawn out.

No way is this a wrap. We got at least four more pages of Eddie standing in the yard, gazing up at the trees and reflecting on the meaning of life and how it all went so wrong for him.

But seriously, I do think it mostly feels drawn out due to you reading a single page a week. Trust me when I say that there are plenty of webcomics that will drag a simple conversation on for way longer than this scene.

The next page wraps up this scene and brings us someplace far, far away from Eddie and Alex's front yards.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 02:39:40 PM »
I do believe the week to week does make some things seem way slower.   I have enjoyed every page but I guess my mind races for more at the end of the page. 
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.