Author Topic: Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 27 - Party Battle Aftermath  (Read 21716 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

If you're wondering what happened to the rest of the party, they're all in the house doing more blow. Of course.

At first we had Veronica responding to Ryan's comment with "As if!" However, it seems a lot of people strongly associate that particular valley girl speak with the mid-nineties due to the movie Clueless, so we thought it'd be better to go with the more '80s "I'm so sure!"

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 27 - Party Battle Aftermath
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 02:02:30 AM »
Poor Eddie.  I can say that went about as I expected,  Veronica showed some compassion I thought though and let him down easy. 

Joe did not embarrass himself as I thought he would. Plus now he's totally gonna bone Tina. 

At first we had Veronica responding to Ryan's comment with "As if!" However, it seems a lot of people strongly associate that particular valley girl speak with the mid-nineties due to the movie Clueless, so we thought it'd be better to go with the more '80s "I'm so sure!"

"As if" does relate more to the 90's.  While many catch phrases and slang are more generational than culture driven I can see how it may be tough to keep that "correct".   

Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 05:14:05 AM »
Yet another dent in the self-esteem of Eddie. I wonder what his gran has to say about all this. Poor guy. I'm starting to think this isn't about a ninja at all, just a very long comic of Eddie getting abuse from everyone, with a backdrop of ninja fighting.  8)

Joe did not embarrass himself as I thought he would. Plus now he's totally gonna bone Tina. 

Except for throwing up into the pool that is. How romanting, to be barfing out an invitation to the prom..  ::)
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »

He might not have embarrassed himself in the way you thought he would, but I'd definitely say he embarrassed himself.

I'm starting to think this isn't about a ninja at all, just a very long comic of Eddie getting abuse from everyone, with a backdrop of ninja fighting.  8)

Shit! You've sussed out our master plan. So I guess there's no point in continuing on anymore. It's been fun.

Rae

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 08:36:12 PM »
Awww... beware of babes speaking in blue-dashed bubbles. Harsh. :(

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 12:23:36 PM »
I'm starting to think this isn't about a ninja at all, just a very long comic of Eddie getting abuse from everyone, with a backdrop of ninja fighting.  8)

Shit! You've sussed out our master plan. So I guess there's no point in continuing on anymore. It's been fun.

I take back what I said.  :'(

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 04:50:20 PM »

He might not have embarrassed himself in the way you thought he would, but I'd definitely say he embarrassed himself.

Except for throwing up into the pool that is. How romanting, to be barfing out an invitation to the prom..  ::)

With that much coke and booze and all those teenagers puking in the pool was bound to happen.  Yeah luckily for Joe Tina seems to be really into him.
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Mumm-Rad

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 05:50:21 PM »
Every 80's party I ever attended always had some kind of burning effigy and ended with someone puking or the cops showing up. 2 outa 3... Not bad!

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 03:33:37 AM »
Every 80's party I ever attended always had some kind of burning effigy and ended with someone puking or the cops showing up. 2 outa 3... Not bad!

It could still happen..

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 05:53:58 AM »

Well, since Jessica has already put this much work into it, I suppose we could continue. But now I guess we'll just have to turn Eddie into a satan ninja at some point since you've ruined our original plan.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 09:37:23 AM »

Well, since Jessica has already put this much work into it, I suppose we could continue. But now I guess we'll just have to turn Eddie into a satan ninja at some point since you've ruined our original plan.

"Rijst, ruiner of evil plans by means of irrefutable deduction."

The satan ninja story will be much better than continuous bullying of Eddie by college jocks, men with goats and space bounty hunters..

aett

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 12:22:27 AM »
"I'm so sure!" really brought me back to a place I had long forgotten. Nice to see Joe getting a touch of comeuppance and man oh man:

BABE ALERT: ...is Tina ever too good for that guy. I can see him fucking up that relationship once he sobers up and overthinks the situation.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 04:03:36 PM »
BABE ALERT: ...is Tina ever too good for that guy. I can see him fucking up that relationship once he sobers up and overthinks the situation.

I can see him getting overconfident again during each and every party from now on and her getting fed up with him being leathered every time..

Jessica Safron

• The Artist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »

"As if" does relate more to the 90's.  While many catch phrases and slang are more generational than culture driven I can see how it may be tough to keep that "correct".   

It's frustrating how hard it can be to find out what era certain slang words and phrases were actually prominent during. At one point, we realized that having Trish say "Whatever, Dean," back in Issue 1 sounded a bit more nineties than we'd intended. I think I remember Adam reading something about how it was used in that way in the 80s once on The Golden Girls or something, but it didn't become a real bimbo staple in that "What-EVERRR" sort of way until the nineties.

Looking this stuff up a little bit just now, I learned that there's a thing called "sexy baby voice." Gah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_baby_voice

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 04:44:19 PM »
It's frustrating how hard it can be to find out what era certain slang words and phrases were actually prominent during. At one point, we realized that having Trish say "Whatever, Dean," back in Issue 1 sounded a bit more nineties than we'd intended. I think I remember Adam reading something about how it was used in that way in the 80s once on The Golden Girls or something, but it didn't become a real bimbo staple in that "What-EVERRR" sort of way until the nineties.

Looking this stuff up a little bit just now, I learned that there's a thing called "sexy baby voice." Gah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_baby_voice

As long as you guy's stay close to the 80's you'll be fine.  "whatever" can slide as 80's especially late 80's but phrases can be harder to pass off.  I think so far you've done an excellent job of keeping it period correct. Much more so than some movies and tv.