Author Topic: Hiatus Continues - My Thoughts on Kung Fury  (Read 6865 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hiatus Continues - My Thoughts on Kung Fury
« on: May 31, 2015, 12:21:35 AM »

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Hiatus Continues - My Thoughts on Kung Fury
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 05:00:17 PM »
Where to start.........

I guess I should say I had the privilege to watch Kung Fury with our favorite web comic creators Adam and Jess.  That in of itself was a totally rad experience.

As for the film.  I thought it was crazy awesome.   I especially enjoyed that the refrences were very obvious they did not try to hide or slip a pop culture point in there, they totally let you know they ripped off Miami Vice or Night Rider. 

As for it being compared to Satan Ninja I think you are totally safe.  The overall parody thing is similar but as soon as you start reading Satan Ninja those similarities end.   

Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 06:59:35 AM »
I guess I should say I had the privilege to watch Kung Fury with our favorite web comic creators Adam and Jess.  That in of itself was a totally rad experience.

Awe, shucks.

As for the film.  I thought it was crazy awesome.   I especially enjoyed that the refrences were very obvious they did not try to hide or slip a pop culture point in there, they totally let you know they ripped off Miami Vice or Night Rider.

Interesting. With Satan Ninja, we tend to have a mix of really obvious references (Fresh Teens on the Street), and much more obscure ones (Alex is a tomboy, so the outfit we gave her in issue two is directly lifted from an outfit worn by Joyce Hyser in the movie Just One of the Guys, in which Joyce plays a girl who goes to high school disguised as a guy).

As for it being compared to Satan Ninja I think you are totally safe.  The overall parody thing is similar but as soon as you start reading Satan Ninja those similarities end.

Well, the comparisons are going to come, regardless. Hopefully, people give the comic a chance instead of instantly dismissing it as a copycat.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »
Interesting. With Satan Ninja, we tend to have a mix of really obvious references (Fresh Teens on the Street), and much more obscure ones (Alex is a tomboy, so the outfit we gave her in issue two is directly lifted from an outfit worn by Joyce Hyser in the movie Just One of the Guys, in which Joyce plays a girl who goes to high school disguised as a guy).

Yeah there is no denying many of your references either, and I also really get a good laugh out of many of them especially the blatantly obvious ones such as (Fresh Teens on the Street).   

All in all I can only see Kung Fury helping your comic.  I can see it driving a pop culture shift to the 80's in which case your comic is up and running already for viewing.  Plus there is this Forum and if we write Kung Fury enough times it might hit on a google search.  Those that take the time to click Satan Ninja will instantly get hooked by Jess's awesome illustrations.

[Edited to fix your fucked-up quotes.  8) A.D.]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:51:30 PM by Adam Dravian »
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 03:26:13 PM »
This movie was amazing. I just watched it and couldn't stop laughing. If I were a triceracop I also wouldn't stop shooting people in the balls.

As for the comparison, you're right that SN8X has a proper storyline and KF doesn't really. It's awesome in an entirely different way. The fact that it works so well just means you guys are onto something good though.
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?