Author Topic: Preacher  (Read 10330 times)

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
Preacher
« on: September 10, 2015, 03:20:09 PM »
So the only other comic I've read outside of Satan Ninja was Preacher.  Our favorite comic creators Adam and Jess lent me their copy's and encouraged me to read it about 5 years ago now and I loved it.  I've even recently re-read issue one. 

So if you haven't read Preacher go do that because it's kick ass and then you'll be excited about the rest of this post

Adam, Jess, and I have always talked about the comics adaptation to television or film and it seems as though many people have wanted to and couldn't, but a while back it sounded like it was going to get done by AMC with Seth Rogan heading the project and now it's true I just read that AMC has bought 10 one hour episodes.  I'm very excited to see how this is going to turn out. 

Yes it's not 80's but I do think that it relates enough to the Satan Ninja project that I thought I'd share this here.

http://www.amc.com/shows/preacher/talk/2015/09/amc-announces-series-order-for-preacher
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Preacher
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »
Yes it's not 80's but I do think that it relates enough to the Satan Ninja project that I thought I'd share this here.

This board is "Discuss Anything" not "Discuss Anything '80s-Related", so no worries.

Anyway, that's awesome news that the Preacher TV series is finally getting made. I know it's been in pre-production hell for years. But I tend to be a purist when it comes to things I'm a fan of, so I'm already a little annoyed to see they've cast a British guy as Jesse (who's supposed to be Texan), a half-black chick who grew up in Ireland and England as Tulip (who's supposed to be a white blonde chick from the American south), and the dude playing Cassidy (an Irish vampire) is British. But I'll give the show a chance. Hopefully they can pull off the right accents.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:00:11 PM by Adam Dravian »

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »

This board is "Discuss Anything" not "Discuss Anything '80s-Related", so no worries.

Anyway, that's awesome news that the Preacher TV series is finally getting made. I know it's been in pre-production hell for years. But I tend to be a purist when it comes to things I'm a fan of, so I'm already a little annoyed to see they've cast a British guy as Jessie (who's supposed to be Texan), a half-black chick who grew up in Ireland and England as Tulip (who's supposed to be a white blonde chick from the American south), and the dude playing Cassidy (an Irish vampire) is British. But I'll give the show a chance. Hopefully they can pull off the right accents.

I'm also a bit unsure of how I feel about all of that.  I get the concept that the comic is just a basis for the TV adaptation but I would have really loved to see something more pure in form.  That said I'm still  looking forward to this. 
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 10:59:26 PM »
I'm also a bit unsure of how I feel about all of that.  I get the concept that the comic is just a basis for the TV adaptation but I would have really loved to see something more pure in form.  That said I'm still  looking forward to this.

And of course I didn't even mention the fact that it'll have to be toned down to make it fit for AMC. It's definitely a series that would be best on a premium network like HBO. But all that said, I'm still cautiously optimistic and I'll give it a shot. After all, it's pretty rad that we live in a world where a Preacher series is being made at all. No way would anyone have even considered making a TV series out of it back when the comics came out in the '90s, considering the sensitive nature of the subject matter.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 01:54:56 AM »
I've never heard of this comic before but I just read a paragraph about it on Wikipedia and it sounds cool enough. I doubt this series will come out here anytime soon though..
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 05:06:51 AM »
I've never heard of this comic before but I just read a paragraph about it on Wikipedia and it sounds cool enough. I doubt this series will come out here anytime soon though..

It's actually my favorite comic series. Jessica introduced me to it shortly after we started dating. It's almost as 90's as our comic is '80s. Almost.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 04:48:07 PM »
So I just read some awesome news.  Preacher is actually a reality now.  The first season starts May 22.  I am a little disappointed that it is going to be a summer series.  I thought it would have gotten better ratings showing after the Walking Dead every week not just the finale. 

I still remain skeptical for all the reasons above but I am really looking forward to seeing how it comes out.  I am committing myself to the first season anyway and I'll go from there. 

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/14/preacher-premiere

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 03:03:23 AM »
So I just read some awesome news.  Preacher is actually a reality now.

At first, I read that as "Preacher is actually a reality show." Oh, man, what would a Preacher reality show even be like?

But seriously, I'll give it a chance. However, I'm going to keep my expectations low. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Jessica Safron

• The Artist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 05:54:59 PM »
Preacher was great. I really hope the show doesn't suck. I feel so hesitant to watch adaptations of stuff I like. There are so many bad ones.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 08:51:49 PM »
So did you guy's watch the 1st episode yet?  I'm pretty happy with it so far.  It's different from the comic yet it's not so far off that it's unbearable.  I've watched and read some Q&A with the actors/actresses also and that helps sell why they got the part especially Ruth Negga as Tulip.  There is also an interview with Garth Ennis about his involvement with the show. 

If you guy's haven't seen it here's a link you can watch for free at AMC's website.
http://www.amc.com/shows/preacher/season-1/episode-00-pilot

Rijst hopefully you and the other SN198X fans from outside the US can find it if you choose to. 

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 03:59:26 AM »
So did you guy's watch the 1st episode yet?  I'm pretty happy with it so far.  It's different from the comic yet it's not so far off that it's unbearable.  I've watched and read some Q&A with the actors/actresses also and that helps sell why they got the part especially Ruth Negga as Tulip.  There is also an interview with Garth Ennis about his involvement with the show. 

If you guy's haven't seen it here's a link you can watch for free at AMC's website.
http://www.amc.com/shows/preacher/season-1/episode-00-pilot

Rijst hopefully you and the other SN198X fans from outside the US can find it if you choose to.

I just watched it. It's good. I could see it catching on and being a hit show. As an adaptation of the comics, well, I'd prefer something more faithful (have it set in the 90s, and hit every core plot point from the comics), but that probably wouldn't make for as successful of a show as the direction they seem to be going with it. And despite the changes, the show still seems to have the spirit of the Preacher comics. Same satirical humor, and bouts of violence. It's still too early for me to say how well they nailed the spirit of the characters, but it's a promising start. It's also interesting that they're focusing a lot more on Jessie being an actual Preacher. In the books, we never get to see that, aside from a brief flashback or two.

I'll probably give it a year or two and then watch the series at some point. I'm definitely interested.