Author Topic: Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 2 - Movement in the Storage Area  (Read 9494 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 2 - Movement in the Storage Area
« on: November 07, 2015, 09:44:56 PM »

Ugh, that idol is so damn disturbing to me. Nightmare fuel. And the spines of the little skulls that project from its crown-thing must be so fucking strong for Darwick to hold it like that without it snapping. Or maybe they just have the spaceship's artificial gravity set low. I once read a sci-fi short story where this stacked chick would always turn down the gravity of her ship so her tits would seem even perkier. It was a pretty cool story.

Jessica figured out a way to make really nice star fields, so now she's going to go back and update some of the old pages with sloppy star fields.

I might have pointed this out on the forums before, but Ket speaks with a mild British accent, hence why her dialogue is occasionally peppered with British slang. Why does our token anime character speak with a British accent? Ask Jessica, as it was her idea. Also, if any of our British readers think I did a poor job with the Brit-slang, my excuse to you is that she speaks "Space British English" which is just different enough from actual British English to excuse my ignorance on the topic.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:02:32 AM by Adam Dravian »

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
Re: Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 2 - Movement in the Storage Area
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »
No worries, "bloody" is about as stereotypically British as it comes. I'm also a huge fan of the word grotesque by the way, which may or may not be very British but should still be used as much as possible. Other than that only a few people will be familiar with 80s British slang. Use the word 'banter' for a more contemporary feel haha.

Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 07:03:34 PM »
Yeah, I figure the occasional "bloody" is enough to get the point across. Perhaps I'll toss in "brilliant" once in awhile. And I'll make a note to avoid the word "banter." Asking for an affirmation after making a statement also seems very British to me. "That idol's downright grotesque, isn't it? Reminds me a bit of the ol' mother 'n law. But that's not very nice, is it?"

I know British people say "mate" but in the US that's much more strongly associated with Australia than Britain.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 05:18:40 PM »
I really thought the affirmation was a universal English-speaking thing, well there you go then! "Jolly" also works well, jolly good, jolly nice, etc.

Moving on though, I like the way the stars look. I also think the way Ket is drawn (light shading, the way the seats look comfy-yet-solid, etc.) reminds me a bit of the 80s X-men comics I used to have somewhere. Maybe that's also because Vektoria looks a bit like Storm (I must've said this before). Is that on purpose?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 11:10:08 PM »
Moving on though, I like the way the stars look. I also think the way Ket is drawn (light shading, the way the seats look comfy-yet-solid, etc.) reminds me a bit of the 80s X-men comics I used to have somewhere. Maybe that's also because Vektoria looks a bit like Storm (I must've said this before). Is that on purpose?

Now that you point it out, the seats totally do look comfy-yet-solid. Weird. And yeah, I could see the Storm comparison: dark skin, no iris/pupils, funky getup. But she actually wasn't inspired by any of the X-men. She was inspired mostly by Synergy from the Jem cartoon and the "programs" from Tron.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 02:59:27 PM »

Now that you point it out, the seats totally do look comfy-yet-solid. Weird. And yeah, I could see the Storm comparison: dark skin, no iris/pupils, funky getup. But she actually wasn't inspired by any of the X-men. She was inspired mostly by Synergy from the Jem cartoon and the "programs" from Tron.

I totally missed out on those. It means it was a more pervasive style in the 80s though.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 08:16:16 PM »
I meant to include pictures in my previous post but I forgot.

Here's Synergy from the Jem cartoon:

And here's a female program from the 1981 film Tron:

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »
Yeah I can totally see how that works out..  8)