Author Topic: Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 26 - Patrick Hyser  (Read 15622 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 26 - Patrick Hyser
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:55:02 AM »

We didn't plan to introduce a dad character so close to Father's Day, but it's kinda rad that it turned out that way.

If there's ever an SN8X sitcom spin-off, I think the Hyser house would be perfect as the focal point. You have Patrick Hyser, a middle age guy dealing with the loss of his wife and trying to run the family dojo while raising two radically different teenage daughters: Alex, a tomboy who's into martial arts, the history of war, and metal; and Heather, a preppy cheerleader who likes shopping and poetry and stuff. Pre-Satan Ninja Eddie would be the dorky next door neighbor, and of course Grandma McCarthy is the wacky neighbor. Veronica, Ryan, Tina, and Trance would all be likely recurring guest characters.

Shit, now I have to resist the urge to write a dumbass '80s sitcom script for my own amusement.

aett

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Issue 3 - Ninja Power! - Page 26 - Patrick Hyser
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:37:11 PM »
As much as I want you to write a sitcom, even just one episode of pure '80s joy, I think you have too much on your plate already.

Oh, uh, I guess it wouldn't be a post from me without a boob alert or something. Alex is really letting her girls loose after the confirmation about her bust size on a recent page.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 03:46:56 AM »
As much as I want you to write a sitcom, even just one episode of pure '80s joy, I think you have too much on your plate already.

What? No! Make that sitcom. People like Eddie would have to pop in randomly every now and then emanating cheesy one liners while throwing themselves on the couch in a cool-but-relaxed kind of way though. Or grab a beer from the fridge like they own the place.

Now that I think of it, that basically has psycho Sam written all over it..
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 03:49:51 AM »
Ah I totally forgot to comment on the page in my excitement. I love how dad casually mentions he needs to battle secretly for his dojo. It's been done to death as a main story line but as a side thing the contrast between the casualness he announces it with over breakfast and the seriousness the event itself implies is brilliant. I never thought something like that could be hilarious but it sure had me laugh..

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 06:47:24 AM »

Well look who pops in just to burst my fun side project bubble! Boo!

But seriously, it's always rad to see you shift out of lurk mode for a moment, aett. You're right, I do have a lot on my plate. But even days later I'm still amused by the idea, so maybe I'll at least write a sitcom scene. It could make for a fun blog post.

Oh, uh, I guess it wouldn't be a post from me without a boob alert or something. Alex is really letting her girls loose after the confirmation about her bust size on a recent page.

Yeah, that's all Jessica. I gave zero boob input on this page.

I know the trope is to wait until near the end to have the "big reveal" that the hot-but-frumpy dorky girl with glasses is actually an even hotter girl when she takes off the glasses and de-frumps herself, but everyone would be expecting us to do that. So instead we subverted the trope a bit by showing Alex made-over early on, with the twist that she gave herself a terrible makeover because she doesn't know what she's doing with makeup. Oh, and we put her in totally unsexy underwear, because she's too embarrassed to go shopping for the sexy stuff.

Make that sitcom. People like Eddie would have to pop in randomly every now and then emanating cheesy one liners while throwing themselves on the couch in a cool-but-relaxed kind of way though. Or grab a beer from the fridge like they own the place.

Now that I think of it, that basically has psycho Sam written all over it..

Hmm, maybe I won't have to write it afterall. Sounds like you've got it covered, Science Dude.

Ah I totally forgot to comment on the page in my excitement. I love how dad casually mentions he needs to battle secretly for his dojo. It's been done to death as a main story line but as a side thing the contrast between the casualness he announces it with over breakfast and the seriousness the event itself implies is brilliant. I never thought something like that could be hilarious but it sure had me laugh..

Haha, good! My favorite line of the page is actually Heather's reaction to Patrick's announcement, "Oh my gawd, why do you keep accepting these stupid challenges?" Which of course implies that this is a regular occurrence.

Speaking of Patrick Hyser, I'm surprised no one has called us out yet on his '80-movie actor inspiration, since I think it's one of the most obvious in the comic...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:00:25 PM by Adam Dravian »

Red

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:20:17 AM »
Better late than never with your comic! ;)

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 10:41:50 AM »
Hmm, maybe I won't have to write it afterall. Sounds like you've got it covered, Science Dude.

Haha, good! My favorite line of the page is actually Heather's reaction to Patrick's announcement, "Oh my gawd, why do you keep accepting these stupid challenges?" Which of course implies that this is a regular occurrence.

Speaking of Patrick Hyser, I'm surprised no one has called us out yet on his '80-movie actor inspiration, since I think it's one of the most obvious in the comic...

I'll get on it, after all this whole science thing might just not work out.

I had lots of secret battles when I did martial arts, so secret I didn't even have a real opponent..

I need to sit down for that reference, I'm notoriously bad at them..

kooky kabuki

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 12:41:22 PM »
HA! My first thought, "this guy is like ninja Rick Moranis"
Did somebody say "honey, I blew up the dojo"?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 08:03:30 PM »
I had lots of secret battles when I did martial arts, so secret I didn't even have a real opponent..

Oh man, I spent countless hours of my youth fending off hordes of invisible (and non-existent) ninjas. It was one of my favorite things to do when I was home alone. At least, you know, before I hit puberty...

HA! My first thought, "this guy is like ninja Rick Moranis"
Did somebody say "honey, I blew up the dojo"?

There we go!

aett

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 11:06:12 PM »
Well look who pops in just to burst my fun side project bubble! Boo!

But seriously, it's always rad to see you shift out of lurk mode for a moment, aett. You're right, I do have a lot on my plate. But even days later I'm still amused by the idea, so maybe I'll at least write a sitcom scene. It could make for a fun blog post.

I'm always here... always watching... always trying to squeeze in every drop of free time whenever the stars align and my kids are both asleep...

Yeah, that's all Jessica. I gave zero boob input on this page.

I know the trope is to wait until near the end to have the "big reveal" that the hot-but-frumpy dorky girl with glasses is actually an even hotter girl when she takes off the glasses and de-frumps herself, but everyone would be expecting us to do that. So instead we subverted the trope a bit by showing Alex made-over early on, with the twist that she gave herself a terrible makeover because she doesn't know what she's doing with makeup. Oh, and we put her in totally unsexy underwear, because she's too embarrassed to go shopping for the sexy stuff.

I shouldn't have said anything - last time I pointed out that Alex wasn't completely hiding her chest, Jessica went back and edited it!

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 08:44:34 PM »
Better late than never with your comic! ;)

Yeah, that's the right attitude to have! Especially this week, because, uh, there's no way the next page is coming out today. It's a big one, and Jessica got a late start with it, due to last week's page spilling over into this week. Plus she has to finish up this month's bonus comic for her Patreon. But! This next page is going to be awesome, so it'll be worth the wait. In fact, the rest of Issue 3 contains the sorta stuff I think everyone's been looking forward to (I know I have). It only gets more radical from here...

I shouldn't have said anything - last time I pointed out that Alex wasn't completely hiding her chest, Jessica went back and edited it!

Heheh, I think you're safe this time.

Brianator

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 11:15:39 PM »
I know that Patrick Hyser is based off of Rick Moranis, but I could totally see Chris Parnell doing the voice of this character.  FYI Chris Parnell does the voice of Jerry Smith on Rick and Morty as well as Cyril Figgis on Archer.  It just seems to me that Parnell has a knack for portraying woebegone characters.

I'm also curious to see what this secret battle will be like.  Will it be anything like Bloodsport?
"My mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought  careening through a cosmic vapour of invention."-Hedley Lamarr (Blazing Saddles)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 01:32:00 AM »
I know that Patrick Hyser is based off of Rick Moranis, but I could totally see Chris Parnell doing the voice of this character.  FYI Chris Parnell does the voice of Jerry Smith on Rick and Morty as well as Cyril Figgis on Archer.  It just seems to me that Parnell has a knack for portraying woebegone characters.

Like most modern things, we've never seen Rock and Morty, though my brother highly recommends it. But there's no way I can picture Patrick sounding like anyone except Mr. Moranis. It's too ingrained into my perception of him and even affects the way I write his dialogue.

I'm also curious to see what this secret battle will be like.  Will it be anything like Bloodsport?

We've now reached Sunday night in the comic, so this battle already happened. But perhaps we'll get to see a snapshot of it in a flashback panel or something. We considered showing that battle as it occurred, but we want to end this issue on a certain plot point and in order to get there, we have some key scenes to get through. This issue is already going to be pushing the limits of how big a single comic issue should be, so we didn't want to pad it out with scenes that aren't integral to the story.

Actually, I just now realized that Patrick's fight could be the subject of this month's Patreon bonus comic.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 07:15:59 PM by Adam Dravian »

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 01:49:22 PM »

Like most modern things, we've never seen Rock and Morty, though my brother highly recommends it. But there's no way I can picture Patrick sounding like anyone except Mr. Moranis. It's too ingrained into my perception of him and even affects the way I write his dialogue.

We've now reached Sunday night in the comic, so this battle already happened. But perhaps we'll get to see a snapshot of it in a flashback panel or something. We considered showing that battle as it occurred, but we want to end this issue on a certain plot point and in order to get there, we have some key scenes to get through. This issue is already going to be pushing the limits of how big a single comic issue should be, so we didn't want to pad it out with scenes that aren't integral to the story.

Actually, I just now realized that Patrick's fight could be the subject of this month's Patreon bonus comic.

Holy mis-quote batman!

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 07:23:43 PM »

Holy mis-quote batman!

Heh. Nice.