Author Topic: Radicast 198X Episodes 2 & 3: Vision Quest & Police Story  (Read 8891 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

Mumm-Rad

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Radicast 198X Episodes 2 & 3: Vision Quest & Police Story
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 08:36:03 PM »
Great podcast! Love to hear more!
I have watched a multitude of bad movies and somehow missed Vision Quest.
I have seen Police Story. I also saw a documentary movie about Jackie Chan. It was cool to see him setup and perform his stunts. It's a miracle the dude never died! He is a badass Hong Konger!

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 09:08:36 PM »
Great podcast! Love to hear more!

Thanks! More shall come. One of the nice things about doing this podcast is that it doesn't require much extra effort from Jessica, so she'll remain free to focus on art. We watch and discuss these movies anyway, so it's not terribly different doing it with an audience in mind. And she makes the thumbnail images simple so she can bust them out quickly.

Episode 4 is definitely our favorite so far, and that'll be released later this week.

I have watched a multitude of bad movies and somehow missed Vision Quest.

It's actually not a bad movie. It's well-made. We tend to prefer our "Quest" movies to be of a more fantastical nature, but anyone who likes more realistic teen dramas will probably enjoy it. And if they also happen to be a high school wrestler, then it'll probably be their favorite movie.

I also saw a documentary movie about Jackie Chan. He is a badass Hong Konger!

This is true.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:10:28 PM by Adam Dravian »

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 08:13:48 PM »
Both great episodes.

I have not saw Vision Quest, though I have heard of it.  The main character is Matthew Modine who was Pvt. Joker in Full Metal Jacket as well. 

Jackie Chan is awesome.  I haven't watched Police Story in a very long time, but it is a great movie because of the constant stunts and action.  I thought Rush Hour was great when it came out and for what it is I don't consider it a bad movie now. 

I think the best part of the Radicast is going to be Adam trying to talk Jess into giving something a rating at the end.  It's always like Adam want's to make something up for a Satan factor and Jess is like no not at all. 
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 04:52:29 AM »
I have not saw Vision Quest, though I have heard of it.  The main character is Matthew Modine who was Pvt. Joker in Full Metal Jacket as well.

Ah, we haven't seen Full Metal Jacket yet, but it's in our queue.

Jackie Chan is awesome.  I haven't watched Police Story in a very long time, but it is a great movie because of the constant stunts and action.  I thought Rush Hour was great when it came out and for what it is I don't consider it a bad movie now.

I don't have much of an opinion on Rush Hour, since I only half-assed watched it and hardly remember anything. At the time, I think I was still mega annoyed at Chris Tucker for his ultra obnoxious character in 5th Element.

I think the best part of the Radicast is going to be Adam trying to talk Jess into giving something a rating at the end.  It's always like Adam want's to make something up for a Satan factor and Jess is like no not at all.

Yeah man, I think it's fun to do mental gymnastics to find the Satan in a totally non-Satantic movie. Some people have a knack for finding the good in everyone, I'm more into finding the Satan in everything.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 05:39:16 AM »
Just listened to the first, I loved the captain pentastar joke! ;D

Honestly though this movie sounds so quintessentially 80s I can't believe you didn't end up giving it 4/5. I haven't seen anything beyond the trailer and I know how cringe worthy this slapstick stuff can get at times but it sounds like an utter classic.

Anyway, on to Vision Quest!
Edit: having just seen the theatrical trailer you posted I too wanted to strangle myself in the nearest piece of cloth. I can't wait to hear how you dragged yourself through this shite! :o
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:42:09 AM by Rijst »
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 06:18:05 AM »
Listened to the Vision Quest episode. I love how you guys don't seem to agree on anything here. Jessica, like me, can't stomach this sort of wet nonsense and Adam is trying to put a positive spin on things. Especially when it gets down to grading it.

I probably wouldn't finish watching this movie. I mean, a rape attempt? That should really be where it ends with the guy going to jail..
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 09:49:32 AM »
Honestly though this movie sounds so quintessentially 80s I can't believe you didn't end up giving it 4/5. I haven't seen anything beyond the trailer and I know how cringe worthy this slapstick stuff can get at times but it sounds like an utter classic.

It was tough, because I loved half the movie. The action was top notch. But the slapstick comedy didn't do it for me and I had almost no attachment to the characters, which brought down the rating.

Listened to the Vision Quest episode. I love how you guys don't seem to agree on anything here. Jessica, like me, can't stomach this sort of wet nonsense and Adam is trying to put a positive spin on things. Especially when it gets down to grading it.

Our movie tastes generally align to a remarkable degree, but I definitely have a way stronger tolerance for straight "drama" than Jessica does. I think she's just afraid to feel something.

I probably wouldn't finish watching this movie. I mean, a rape attempt? That should really be where it ends with the guy going to jail..

We might be going a little too far by calling it an attempted rape, but it was pretty bad. He throws her onto his bed and then drops on top of her and begins forcefully kissing her, but then she hits him and pushes him away, and then storms out of his room. I thought for sure that would be the death-knell for his chances with Carla, but she totally ends up letting him bone her later on, which really sends a fucked up message to the viewer.