Author Topic: Music Video Reviews And The SN8X TV Tropes Page  (Read 12553 times)

Matty2310

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
Music Video Reviews And The SN8X TV Tropes Page
« on: November 21, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »
I've thought of an idea. As someone who only listens to 80's music 85% of the time, I know quite a few bizarre videos you could write about. Maybe I could send them to you to do so.
Also, unrelated, I actually did try to add some tropes on the TV Tropes page, but I could not figure out for the life of me to link added tropes to their home pages, which I think you're supposed to do. I'll try figuring it out somehow though 

[EDIT: Hey, I decided to split this post into its own topic. -A.D.]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:00:23 AM by Adam Dravian »
I listen to 80's music for a living, how about you?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SN8X TV Tropes Page
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 04:55:56 AM »
Sorry, Matty, I totally failed to notice this post until just now.

I totally intend to start featuring more '80s music videos on the site. I was just thinking earlier today of possibly having a dedicated day of the week for that.

Now that we're paying for a site to host Radicast, we feel compelled to do a weekly episode in order to justify the cost. So it looks like Wednesdays will be Radicast release days. Maybe Mondays can be Music Video Mondays. And maybe I'll do an article once or twice a month or something.

Honestly, one of the reasons I haven't been posting as many blog posts lately is because these past couple months, Jessica has been so busy with commissions, stuff going on with her family, and of course working on Grim October, that she's been having a hard time getting SN8X pages out as frequently as we'd like. And when the comic is lagging behind, I have this possibly paranoid notion that if I post an update that isn't a new comic page, some Satan Ninja fans will be annoyed. Like, they'll see the update and think something like, fuck this bullshit '80s music video, I wanna know where the next page of the comic is.

I also worry that if I post too many blog posts in-between comic pages, people will think that we've shifted focus away from the comic toward being an '80s pop culture review site. Which of course isn't true. The comic is always our biggest concern.

So basically, I've been holding off on making more frequent blog posts until the comic gets back on a more steady release schedule. But perhaps that's a mistake on my part.

Anyway.

I've thought of an idea. As someone who only listens to 80's music 85% of the time, I know quite a few bizarre videos you could write about. Maybe I could send them to you to do so.

Yeah, we have an absolutely massive list of music videos, but I'm always on the lookout for more. Shoot me an email (either at my personal one or the Satan Ninja one) with a list of videos, and hopefully you'll have some that we could add to our list.

I actually did try to add some tropes on the TV Tropes page, but I could not figure out for the life of me to link added tropes to their home pages, which I think you're supposed to do. I'll try figuring it out somehow though

First off, that's totally rad of you to attempt that. I still check our TV Tropes page once a week or so and always hope to see something more there.

I just looked up Kung Fury's page on TV tropes, since that seems like a fitting enough reference. It seems to conform to the basic TV Tropes format, which is a couple paragraphs that summarize the show/film/whatever, and then a bullet point list of tropes (in alphabetical order) that it adheres to, with the trope linking to its respective page at each bullet point.

If you're logged in, you should be able to hit "Edit Page" at the top left of any TV Tropes page and then you can see how the page is formatted. Perhaps it might be easiest to copy some of the code from a page like Kung Fury, and then re-paste it into the SN8X page and heavily edit it.

I really wanted to avoid making any edits to the SN8X page myself, since that doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the site (and I'm curious to see what fans come up with), but as a trial, I just followed my suggestion in the previous paragraph with the "Ninja" entry and it worked fine. It seems the code to link to a trope page is to enclose the trope name within these style of brackets:  {{}}. So it looks like {{Ninja}}. However, when I look at the code on the Kung Fury page, most of the trope links don't seem to have any special formatting around them at all. That's really weird. Huh.

Anyway, adding the tropes to the SN8X page is half the battle. The other half is going to the main pages for each of the relevant tropes, and then listing Satan Ninja under examples of the trope. I see someone (probably Mike Thompson, who was awesome enough to create our TV tropes page in the first place) has already done this for the Ninja trope, listing us under "Webcomics" and placing us in the proper spot alphabetically. Of course, doing this helps people browsing TV Tropes to discover Satan Ninja.

EDIT: Here's a super helpful TV Tropes page on Text Formatting. Look under "Linking to Pages."
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:15:34 AM by Adam Dravian »

Matty2310

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Music Video Reviews And The SN8X TV Tropes Page
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »
Oh wow I get my own forum :) Yeah I can completely understand your reasoning for not doing one as of now. I'm actually thinking of starting my own blog where review/analyze 80s music videos. If I do I'll credit you's with the idea.
OK, I just tried again and I managed to add one :) Turns out it just doesn't link properly if you put numerical units in it, which I was doing, meaning you have to type the numbers out in word. OK I'll be looking for some other one's to add.
I listen to 80's music for a living, how about you?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Music Video Reviews And The SN8X TV Tropes Page
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 12:05:13 AM »
I'm actually thinking of starting my own blog where review/analyze 80s music videos.

Yeah, if it's something that really interests you, you should totally write a blog about it.

OK, I just tried again and I managed to add one :) Turns out it just doesn't link properly if you put numerical units in it, which I was doing, meaning you have to type the numbers out in word. OK I'll be looking for some other one's to add.

Rad! There are so many tropes that I can think of, so it's super tempting to put them in myself, but I'll show restraint.