Author Topic: The Evolution of Eddie's Dude Shinobi Poster  (Read 10768 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
The Evolution of Eddie's Dude Shinobi Poster
« on: November 30, 2014, 01:04:27 AM »

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Evolution of Eddie's Dude Shinobi Poster
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 06:56:45 AM »
The explosion in the background is still reminiscent of Duke Nukem, but the different clothes, hair and name definitely makes him a distinct character now. The girls' hair have also changed and I think the brunette has improved much overall (better facial expression and her clothes are more real and less chosen for the occasion if you know what I mean). The girl being carried has a more realistic pose as well, lying on Dude's shoulder instead of in it.

A cool poster with many improvements over time!
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »
The explosion in the background is still reminiscent of Duke Nukem, but the different clothes, hair and name definitely makes him a distinct character now.

I suggested having an explosion behind him in my original notes simply to drive home the action hero aspect. But thinking about it now, having a mushroom cloud explosion behind him is still too Duke Nukem, so we're probably going to change that to something else. Not sure what. Maybe a jungle. '80s action movies loved jungles.

The girls' hair have also changed and I think the brunette has improved much overall (better facial expression and her clothes are more real and less chosen for the occasion if you know what I mean). The girl being carried has a more realistic pose as well, lying on Dude's shoulder instead of in it.

Yeah, I didn't notice how screwy a lot of the anatomy is in the previous version of the poster until I had the new one to compare it to. I do miss the underboob, though. :(

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 02:16:18 AM »
The explosion in the background is still reminiscent of Duke Nukem, but the different clothes, hair and name definitely makes him a distinct character now.

I suggested having an explosion behind him in my original notes simply to drive home the action hero aspect. But thinking about it now, having a mushroom cloud explosion behind him is still too Duke Nukem, so we're probably going to change that to something else. Not sure what. Maybe a jungle. '80s action movies loved jungles.

Not sure if it needs it, I mean he doesn't look like Duke at all this way. Jungles are cool as well but you wouldn't have the same background colour anymore and I think that improves the atmosphere a lot. Maybe it should be a jungle that's on fire..  8)

The girls' hair have also changed and I think the brunette has improved much overall (better facial expression and her clothes are more real and less chosen for the occasion if you know what I mean). The girl being carried has a more realistic pose as well, lying on Dude's shoulder instead of in it.

Yeah, I didn't notice how screwy a lot of the anatomy is in the previous version of the poster until I had the new one to compare it to. I do miss the underboob, though. :(

The underboobs are great, maybe you should write a few more into the comic.. ;)
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 02:32:32 AM »
Not sure if it needs it, I mean he doesn't look like Duke at all this way. Jungles are cool as well but you wouldn't have the same background colour anymore and I think that improves the atmosphere a lot. Maybe it should be a jungle that's on fire..  8)

Hah! I was totally intending the jungle to be on fire for that exact reason. I'm thinking either a flaming jungle, or they're on a rooftop and there's a flaming city behind them.

The underboobs are great, maybe you should write a few more into the comic.. ;)

On it!

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 02:33:37 PM »
The city on fire may be a better choice. 80's obsession with jungles was the war movie culture. Vietnam and  Columbia were very big movie and tv plot points from MIA soldiers and the drug war against cocaine traffickers from South America.  Dude Shinobi does not seem like the type to be fighting the drug war lol. 

This poster is very cool though, I love seeing the art progression.  After hearing about you guys talk about this comic years ago and now seeing it come together is really exciting especially when you through in the extra stuff in the forum .  I think that as this becomes a very successful comic it will stand out because of the way you guys include the fans in the creation journey.
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

DragonLord1975

• Ninja Initiate
  • Welcome to Dragonland Studios
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »
Even though it has a Duke Nukem feel, Duke Nukem is 90s. This is all about the 80s.

The way I read about Duke Shinobi is almost G.I. Joe-esque like a cross between Duke and Snake-Eyes.

Still has an awesome feel to it.
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive."

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
The way I read about Duke Shinobi is almost G.I. Joe-esque like a cross between Duke and Snake-Eyes.

I'm sure the camo-pants contribute to the G.I. Joe feel.