Author Topic: Hiatus Continues – Anime Midwest 2015  (Read 8291 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hiatus Continues – Anime Midwest 2015
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:18:54 PM »

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hiatus Continues – Anime Midwest 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 01:54:38 AM »
When I saw that first picture I thought wow, Jessica is going to have one amazingly muscular arm at the end of it! Good to hear she's been busy drawing. I remember your tales of the other convention all too well, did you get a proper place to sleep this time?

The Kung Fury thing is cool as well, let's hope it stays that way.

Really good to see that this was a success. If these cons start paying for themselves at some point I guess you'll be doing a lot more of them next year?
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 10:02:06 AM »
I remember your tales of the other convention all too well, did you get a proper place to sleep this time?

Too proper. By the time we booked the hotel, the only one I was able to get near the convention cost us over a hundred bucks a night. It was like paradise compared to the  super cheapo death motel we stayed at for Midoricon, but if wasn't for how expensive the hotel was, we would have easily made profit at this convention.

Really good to see that this was a success. If these cons start paying for themselves at some point I guess you'll be doing a lot more of them next year?

I think so. We enjoy doing them (so far), and if they start to pay for themselves, then tabling at them is basically advertising our comic to masses of people for free. Can't beat that.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:11:55 PM »
So awesome this one worked out so well for you.

It sounds like this was not only a great learning experience but also a great time.  The later part is very important, if you don't like doing it the money part of it really don't matter. 

Have you guy's thought about using more social media to draw people to your table?  I'm thinking at a larger con such as Chicago doing something like a live tweet or Instagram using lots of hashtags may draw people over to your booth or to the website. 

I think it's awesome you guy's sold out the comic.  I have always wondered how a small artist would do in such a setting.  I would imagine many of the people there would only have so much to spend and already have an idea of what they wanted from some of the bigger artist or dealers, not leaving so much to spend on new stuff they find though they may still visit the website if interested. 
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 09:56:53 AM »
Have you guy's thought about using more social media to draw people to your table?  I'm thinking at a larger con such as Chicago doing something like a live tweet or Instagram using lots of hashtags may draw people over to your booth or to the website.

Oh man, I barely know what I'm doing on Twitter as it is. I should try to remedy that eventually. Ugh.

I think it's awesome you guy's sold out the comic.

Fortunately, we didn't sell out until the final day of the convention, so that worked out well.

I have always wondered how a small artist would do in such a setting.  I would imagine many of the people there would only have so much to spend and already have an idea of what they wanted from some of the bigger artist or dealers, not leaving so much to spend on new stuff they find though they may still visit the website if interested.

Yeah, the dealers (who sell mass-produced goods) definitely get most of the attention from con-goers, but luckily there are a lot of people who still make a point to check out artists alley, and there are even some who are rad enough to try and seek out new and original stuff instead of just fanart. Those people rule.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 08:51:44 PM »

Oh man, I barely know what I'm doing on Twitter as it is. I should try to remedy that eventually. Ugh.

Yeah you probably should.  Out of all of the apps I use Twitter the least.  I do know that is a very successful means for marketing in real time. Plus even if a user is not at the con you are web based so it should be very easy for you to pick up a following that way. 

I'm very excited for the release of issue 3 and for this hiatus to be over. 

Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.