Author Topic: Article: Why are we so obsessed with the 1980s?  (Read 44154 times)

Matty2310

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
Article: Why are we so obsessed with the 1980s?
« on: October 27, 2016, 12:35:35 AM »
A really interesting Entertainment Geekly article (only article of its kind, unfortunately) from January 2014, that I think can strongly, strongly be applied to one's understanding of Satan Ninja 198X.
http://www.ew.com/article/2014/01/23/80s-genre-entertainment-geekly

Some interesting points are how it says the 80s as a decade are a genre unto itself, with conventians that this comic uses such as synth music(not in it, but you have linked ideal synth songs to play along while reading), neon lights, a mixture of raw brutality and endearing innocence, karate, cocaine and aesthetically unpleasing computers. You can pretty much find all these things in this comic, aided strongly by the website aesthetic as well.

Another interesting point from the article is how it says that you can imagine characters from 80s set period prices actually in there world going to see actual 80s movies, which is imaginable because  of the way these pieces are made, in a way that they share the same world as these movies. So with this comic, I can actually imagine characters going to see such movies, or listening to synth music, because of the way the comic is done.

It also states that the 80s are now an "actual cultural and artistic force", which I think is strongly relevant now, with examples such as this comic, Stranger Things and synthwave music. These aren't simple parodies just existing to poke fun at the time, they actually relish and create an actual feel of the time, which, as was stated before, is a mixture of "a mixture of raw brutality and endearing innocence", which can come from the fact that things like teen movies can be seen as innocent but action and horror movies relentlessly raw and bloody.   

Plus, it also brings up the then kickstarter Kung Fury, which, while pretty different from this comic, the intentions of which are stated for making the film do seem to kind of resemble your reasons for making this comic as well.

But anyway, it's an interesting read. Bet you never thought this comic would get an artistic analysis, did you? Well, now it has.

I listen to 80's music for a living, how about you?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Article: Why are we so obsessed with the 1980s?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 06:17:25 AM »
A really interesting Entertainment Geekly article (only article of its kind, unfortunately) from January 2014, that I think can strongly, strongly be applied to one's understanding of Satan Ninja 198X.

Aw man, great article—and great post!

a mixture of raw brutality and endearing innocence

That's a great descriptor for the '80s that I don't think I've heard before. And yeah, it totally applies to the comic. In fact, I think someone would be hard-pressed to find an '80s retro product that embodies that more than SN8X. Just look at the main character, a dude who's starry-eyed, idealistic, and naive, yet he's now wielding Hell-spawned assassination powers.

Another interesting point from the article is how it says that you can imagine characters from 80s set period prices actually in there world going to see actual 80s movies, which is imaginable because  of the way these pieces are made, in a way that they share the same world as these movies. So with this comic, I can actually imagine characters going to see such movies, or listening to synth music, because of the way the comic is done.

This serves as a good segue to a very minor behind-the-scenes dilemma that's come up a few times: what real-world '80s things do we want to reference as actually existing in the SN8X-verse, and what real-world '80s things do we want to reference as being fictional within the SN8X-verse.

For instance, take the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Now, we could have made a parody version of them that actually exists in the SN8X-verse (I could totally see them butting heads with the Satan Ninja clans in the sewers), but instead we made a parody version of them that exists as a fictional franchise within the SN8X-verse.

Say, for instance, that Ket and Darwick end up in a situation that would be perfect for us to use a parody of the aliens from Critters. Well, we wouldn't feel comfortable doing that now, since we've already established a fictional parody of Critters (see the Kreepies poster in the Issue 1 arcade scenes).

It's a minor thing, but something we have to to think about once in awhile.

It also states that the 80s are now an "actual cultural and artistic force", which I think is strongly relevant now, with examples such as this comic, Stranger Things and synthwave music. These aren't simple parodies just existing to poke fun at the time, they actually relish and create an actual feel of the time

Thanks! I'm glad to see someone saying this comic creates an actual feel of the time, as that's definitely one of our goals with it. Even though I don't think there's any single actual '80s product that quite matches the tone of our comic. The closest I can think of are movies like Big Trouble in Little China or The Last Dragon, but those are both missing some essential SN8X elements.

, which, as was stated before, is a mixture of "a mixture of raw brutality and endearing innocence", which can come from the fact that things like teen movies can be seen as innocent but action and horror movies relentlessly raw and bloody.

Not only that, but there was a lot of stuff that was super appealing to kids, but had some ultra non-kid-friendly elements. Robocop, for instance. Or movies starring kids that were too scary for a lot of kids to even watch, like The Gate. And then there was Temple of Doom, which was very kid-friendly for the most part, but then it had the brutal heart-ripping out scene.

Plus, it also brings up the then kickstarter Kung Fury, which, while pretty different from this comic, the intentions of which are stated for making the film do seem to kind of resemble your reasons for making this comic as well.

I totally agree with the Kung Fury director's statement as to what draws him to the '80s. It's simultaneously super cool and yet super dumb.

But anyway, it's an interesting read. Bet you never thought this comic would get an artistic analysis, did you? Well, now it has.

Hah, thanks Matty. Awesome post.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:21:05 AM by Adam Dravian »

Matty2310

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 09:22:48 AM »
Your welcome. Put more thought into writing this than I did for a 1800 word essay I had to do (got it done though). Interesting point about deciding which elements of the 80s are real in their world and which one's are fiction as well.
I listen to 80's music for a living, how about you?

DanielCar

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 05:49:14 AM »
Your welcome. Put more thought into writing this than I did for a 1800 word essay I had to do (got it done though). Interesting point about deciding which elements of the 80s are real in their world and which one's are fiction as well.

Because the 80s ruled!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 03:22:47 PM by DanielCar »

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »
Because the 80s ruled!

Hell yeah—welcome to the forums, dude!

RichardSchulz

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
    • A Quick Guide to Phentermine
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 12:53:21 AM »
Your welcome. Put this than I did for a 1800 word essay I had on to do (got it done though). Interesting point about deciding which elements of the 80s are real in their world and which one's are fiction as well.

Because the 80s ruled!
80s was an era of change, new ideas, facts, fiction, new technology, and rebel. I love 80s music and still listen to it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 03:22:18 PM by RichardSchulz »

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 06:06:25 PM »
I love 80s music and still listen to it.

Totally. Several months ago, after Jessica and I thought we might have finally started to run out of rad new '80s music to discover, we ended up going down a YouTube rabbit hole of music videos that introduces us to a whole bunch of (mostly) German '80s electronic pop music.

rubyatiy

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 04:01:36 AM »
Your welcome. Put more good reviews of instant knockout into writing this than I did for a 1800 word essay I had to do (got it done though). Interesting point about deciding which elements of the 80s are real in their world and which one's are fiction as well.

Because the 80s ruled!

These are not the issues but you can fix it with those resemblance thing

CharlesPerry

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
    • https://thefecaltransplantfoundation.org/phenq-testimonials/
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 09:15:13 AM »
I love 80s music and still listen to it D bal max.

Totally. Several months ago, after Jessica and I thought we might have finally started to run out of rad new '80s music to discover, we ended up going down a YouTube rabbit hole of music videos that introduces us to a whole bunch of (mostly) German '80s electronic pop music.

German '80s electronic pop music! Never thought about it. Heading over to YouTube right now. :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:30:05 PM by CharlesPerry »

Mayra Kaufman

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 07:34:19 AM »

Because the 80s ruled .....

LuisBatts

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 02:35:18 AM »

Aw man, great article—and great post!

a mixture of raw brutality and endearing innocence

That's a great descriptor for the '80s that I don't think I've heard before. And yeah, it totally applies to the comic. In fact, I think [ someone would be hard-pressed to find an '80s retro product that embodies that more than SN8X. Just look at the main character, a dude who's starry-eyed, idealistic, and naive, yet he's now wielding Hell-spawned assassination powers.

This serves as a good segue to a very minor behind-the-scenes dilemma that's come up a few times tried over the counter phentermine and loved the results: what real-world '80s things do we want to reference as actually existing in the SN8X-verse, and what real-world '80s things do we want to reference as being fictional within the SN8X-verse.

For instance, take the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Now, we could have made a parody version of them that actually exists in the SN8X-verse (I could totally see them butting heads with the Satan Ninja clans in the sewers), but instead we made a parody version of them that exists as a fictional franchise within the SN8X-verse.

Say, for instance, that Ket and Darwick end up in a situation that would be perfect for us to use a parody of the aliens from Critters. Well, we wouldn't feel comfortable doing that now, since we've already established a fictional parody of Critters (see the Kreepies poster in the Issue 1 arcade scenes).

It's a minor thing, but something we have to to think about once in awhile.

It also states that the 80s are now an "actual cultural and artistic force", which I think is strongly relevant now, with examples such as this comic, Stranger Things and synthwave music. These aren't simple parodies just existing to poke fun at the time, they actually relish and create an actual feel of the time

Thanks! I'm glad to see someone saying this comic creates an actual feel of the time, as that's definitely one of our goals with it. Even though I don't think there's any single actual '80s product that quite matches the tone of our comic. The closest I can think of are movies like Big Trouble in Little China or The Last Dragon, but those are both missing some essential SN8X elements.

, which, as was stated before, is a mixture of "a mixture of raw brutality and endearing innocence", which can come from the fact that things like teen movies can be seen as innocent but action and horror movies relentlessly raw and bloody.

Not only that, but there was a lot of stuff that was super appealing to kids, but had some ultra non-kid-friendly elements. Robocop, for instance. Or movies starring kids that were too scary for a lot of kids to even watch, like The Gate. And then there was Temple of Doom, which was very kid-friendly for the most part, but then it had the brutal heart-ripping out scene.

I totally agree with the Kung Fury director's statement as to what draws him to the '80s. It's simultaneously super cool and yet super dumb.

Hah, thanks Matty. Awesome post.

The characters of the 80s were icomic and amazing. They seemed very cool more advanced that present characters. I really loved the characters of the 80s.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 03:09:20 PM by LuisBatts »

alaskadark

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 06:52:38 PM »
Your welcome. Put more thought into writing this than I did for a 1800 word essay I had to do try phen375 after reading this review and seeing results (got it done though). Interesting point about deciding which elements of the 80s are real in their world and which one's are fiction as well.

Because the 80s ruled .....

The 80's was a time we will remember with sentimentality because it is human nature. We can sometimes forget that the 80s, like any other decade
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 03:05:32 AM by alaskadark »