Author Topic: Comic Hiatus and Website Birthday  (Read 13416 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Comic Hiatus and Website Birthday
« on: March 04, 2015, 08:43:27 PM »

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Hiatus and Website Birthday
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:33:48 PM »
The 1st year has been great.  After hearing about you guys wanting to do this for so long it's been an exciting journey to finally see it come to life and be part of it. 

Thanks for the shout out, while I have never been a huge fan of forums and especially not in recent years where Facebook and social media comment style have taken over the world, this one has been fun.  I have also enjoyed the banter from Rijst, Aett, and everyone else here. 

I hope when you guy's finally come back that hard copies are available for purchase along with other merchandise (at least a T-spring offering). 

Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:46:25 AM »
I hope when you guy's finally come back that hard copies are available for purchase along with other merchandise (at least a T-spring offering).

We'll be having more hardcopies printed as soon as Jessica's done sprucing up the first two issues. T-shirts are something we'll certainly look into. Posters too.

aett

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 02:37:36 AM »
The self-portrait is clearly meant to inspire you to not fuck things up over the next eight years.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:02:04 PM »
do whatever it is that people do with RSS feeds,

It's like a mailing list really, except that it saves you the trouble of sending emails around to a mailing list. Well, in theory anyway..

Finally, I wanted to thank our most vocal supporters

Aw thanks! you guys are more than worth it though. Keep it up!
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 08:49:11 PM »
So for the first time today I read the comic as a whole.  I had already of course read issue one a couple of times but it's been a while. 

All the points that I had seemed slow to me reading week to week went by very fast and flowed well.  I had especially thought the whole lunch and walk home stuff took forever going week to week, but now as a whole I did not get that feeling. 

Being I'm not a "comic" guy and having really only read one other (Preacher).  I sometimes have a hard time focusing on all the details of the art.  So during my read through today I went very slow and tried to focus on every panel.  I defiantly saw much more than I had before.  Jess you're an amazing artist, I totally look forward to seeing this project through to the end.   
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 11:03:48 PM »
The self-portrait is clearly meant to inspire you to not fuck things up over the next eight years.

Heheh. Noted.

It's like a mailing list really, except that it saves you the trouble of sending emails around to a mailing list. Well, in theory anyway..

Ah, sounds nice. I'll have to look into it some more. It's just weird to me that when I click on our RSS icon, all I see is code gibberish, but our weblord assures us that is somehow normal.

So for the first time today I read the comic as a whole.  I had already of course read issue one a couple of times but it's been a while. 

All the points that I had seemed slow to me reading week to week went by very fast and flowed well.  I had especially thought the whole lunch and walk home stuff took forever going week to week, but now as a whole I did not get that feeling. 

Being I'm not a "comic" guy and having really only read one other (Preacher).  I sometimes have a hard time focusing on all the details of the art.  So during my read through today I went very slow and tried to focus on every panel.  I defiantly saw much more than I had before.  Jess you're an amazing artist, I totally look forward to seeing this project through to the end.

Awesome post, dude. I really appreciate it.

I actually haven't gone back and read everything since we wrapped issue 2. But then again, I'm so intimately familiar with it all, that it's hard for me to read it with a fresh perspective. But I think it's important that I do so and try to judge it as a whole.

For instance, I know we have a ton of our Narrator Dude in issue 1, and then he's barely in issue 2 at all. Did that seem odd to you while reading it? Since issue 1 was introducing the world and most of the main cast, it felt more necessary to have the Narrator Dude. I also thought his slang helped get the reader in an '80s mindset. But I feel like if we used the Narrator Dude too much, he could get annoying. So in issue 2, he was just reserved for moments when we might need some added clarity. Like to inform the reader that this crazy sci-fi shit that's busting out of nowhere isn't a dream.

I've talked before about how it's a necessary evil to put out only one page a week, but there are two things I prefer about updating the comic that way.

First, it almost forces the reader to slow down a bit and soak in the details. I know when I read a comic the "traditional" way, I tend to plow through it without spending as much time as I should soaking up the art details, which is a bummer for the artist who spent forever on it.

Second, it encourages discussion on individual pages, as opposed to merely talking about the issue as a whole. And as creators, we're always greedy for feedback.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:28:09 PM by Adam Dravian »

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »

Ah, sounds nice. I'll have to look into it some more. It's just weird to me that when I click on our RSS icon, all I see is code gibberish, but our weblord assures us that is somehow normal.

It's XML code. If you feed the link to an RSS reader (I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email and RSS feeds) it'll present it into a more readable format. Often it'll even download the page and show it that way.

I actually haven't gone back and read everything since we wrapped issue 2. But then again, I'm so intimately familiar with it all, that it's hard for me to read it with a fresh perspective. But I think it's important that I do so and try to judge it as a whole.

For instance, I know we have a ton of our Narrator Dude in issue 1, and then he's barely in issue 2 at all. Did that seem odd to you while reading it? Since issue 1 was introducing the world and most of the main cast, it felt more necessary to have the Narrator Dude. I also thought his slang helped get the reader in an '80s mindset. But I feel like if we used the Narrator Dude too much, he could get annoying. So in issue 2, he was just reserved for moments when we might need some added clarity. Like to inform the reader that this crazy sci-fi shit that's busting out of nowhere isn't a dream.

I've talked before about how it's a necessary evil to put out only one page a week, but there are two things I prefer about updating the comic that way.

First, it almost forces the reader to slow down a bit and soak in the details. I know when I read a comic the "traditional" way, I tend to plow through it without spending as much time as I should soaking up the art details, which is a bummer for the artist who spent forever on it.

Second, it encourages discussion on individual pages, as opposed to merely talking about the issue as a whole. And as creators, we're always greedy for feedback.

I really need to slow-read it as well.

I like narrator dude. It definitely helps in pages that are low on dialogue, such as when Viper chases the ninja through the woods. We can all see he's chasing the guy but the floppy dong comments are brilliant. It's a sort of self-review of the action in a way or a live-commentary. I didn't miss it in any particular page though..

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 11:14:44 AM »

For the narrator,  I am completely neutral on that.  In a good way.  Your use is perfect I don't get bored with it nor do I miss it when it's not around.  I had actually put no thought into it's use until you mentioned it here.  I do think it's appropriate from the standpoint of a lot of 80's movies had a narrator and even tv shows like the Wonder Years. 

As for going week to week,  I agree it's pretty much the best case scenario for you guy's.  It takes a learning curve to get used to it as a reader.  I'd say about half of issue 2 before I got real comfortable with it.  I also like the week to week interaction with everyone on the page, I'm sure that's great for you guys as creators. 

It's great to know that I'm not the only one that just reads through this stuff and misses things.  You're right it kinda sucks for the artist.  Don't worry Jess I still plan on making sure I give the art a good long look to soak it in, at least for your comic.   

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 03:08:58 AM »
Where were you guys thinking of advertising the comic?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »
Where were you guys thinking of advertising the comic?

We're not entirely sure yet. Comic-oriented websites, like TopWebComics, or something.