Author Topic: Issue 3 – Ninja Power! – Page 12 - Eddie vs. Alex  (Read 19096 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Issue 3 – Ninja Power! – Page 12 - Eddie vs. Alex
« on: February 09, 2016, 10:33:27 AM »

A mega-long time ago, when we first wrote up a long-ass synopsis for this story, I wrote that this playful battle between Eddie and Alex would somehow result in a moment of awkward sexual tension. Jessica had me add a note to that part saying, “Somehow avoid making this groan-worthy.”

For instance, how many anime have a scene where a boy falls on top of a girl (possibly accidentally groping her tit in the process, or perhaps even landing face-first into titty-zone), and then the two of them spend a prolonged moment awkwardly staring at each other while blushing and doing those little nervous sounds. Then the girl typically slaps him, but instead of showing the slap, the view often cuts away to a more distant shot that doesn't show the characters, but we hear the slap echo out, likely startling some birds into flight...

Anyway, once it finally came time to for me write up the actual script for this issue, I still didn’t go into any greater detail for the moment of awkward sexual tension, basically leaving it up to Jessica to figure out while drawing the page.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
Re: Issue 3 – Ninja Power! – Page 12 - Eddie vs. Alex
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 03:28:39 PM »
Grandma must be my favourite character, she knows exactly what's what. She's also not surprised at Eddie's transformation at all. She's clearly been around the block.

These are classic Street Fighter moves they're making. I also love how their hair waves about and ends up a lot more messy than when they started. All without any blurry-limb shortcuts, well done!
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Mumm-Rad

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 03:52:45 PM »
Totally awesome attention to detailing! Every little finger and toe accounted for! I especially like the way Alex gets sweatier as Eddie gets cooler! Hair-O-Mania!!!!!!

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:05:54 AM »
Grandma must be my favourite character, she knows exactly what's what. She's also not surprised at Eddie's transformation at all. She's clearly been around the block.

Ha, I wonder just how many SN8X readers would say Grandma is their favorite character. Certainly not aett...

I think you'll really enjoy the dinner scene that's coming up.

These are classic Street Fighter moves they're making. I also love how their hair waves about and ends up a lot more messy than when they started. All without any blurry-limb shortcuts, well done!

Funny that you mention Street Fighter. Drawing fight scenes is a relatively new experience for Jessica, so to try and make this scene a bit easier on her, I suggested it could all be shot in profile and Eddie and Alex could mimic moves performed in the original Street Fighter game (since that came out in '87). So not only would that provide easy reference material, but it'd be spoofing a classic game in the process. But Jessica decided against it, because she wanted the panels to be more visually interesting, and I totally think she pulled it off.

Totally awesome attention to detailing! Every little finger and toe accounted for! I especially like the way Alex gets sweatier as Eddie gets cooler! Hair-O-Mania!!!!!!

No, don't encourage her! She always spends too much time on the hands and feet. Wait, are you one of those foot people? I knew this page would bring them out of the woodwork. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 12:16:20 PM »

Ha, I wonder just how many SN8X readers would say Grandma is their favorite character. Certainly not aett...

Well no but I thought I'd post something that didn't originate in the dirty 95% of my brain.

I think you'll really enjoy the dinner scene that's coming up.

Funny that you mention Street Fighter. Drawing fight scenes is a relatively new experience for Jessica, so to try and make this scene a bit easier on her, I suggested it could all be shot in profile and Eddie and Alex could mimic moves performed in the original Street Fighter game (since that came out in '87). So not only would that provide easy reference material, but it'd be spoofing a classic game in the process. But Jessica decided against it, because she wanted the panels to be more visually interesting, and I totally think she pulled it off.

Decided against profile shot or SF moves? That tackle in panel 3 is a classic video game move I'd say..

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 12:44:49 PM »
Decided against profile shot or SF moves? That tackle in panel 3 is a classic video game move I'd say..

She decided against both. When I pitched the profile shot Street Fighter idea, I suggested that the viewpoint would not only be in profile, but also pulled back to mimic the appearance of a fighting game level. But Jessica wanted to take the viewer more up in the action. And for the moves, she references some martial arts fight scenes in movies and manga. But yeah, the leg sweep take-down totally makes me think of Street Fighter.

Rae

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 05:44:11 PM »
Great page! :)

I'm a fan of Grandma, she reminds of one I know irl. Not caring about one's level of bluntness... so looking forward to getting away with that when I'm old.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 04:05:02 AM »

I'm a fan of Grandma, she reminds of one I know irl. Not caring about one's level of bluntness... so looking forward to getting away with that when I'm old.

Is it HRM queen Elizabeth by any chance? https://twitter.com/Queen_UK

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 06:52:49 AM »

Oh man, it took me waaay too long to figure out what HRM stood for. That's how not British I am.

Rae

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 01:05:19 PM »

Nope, I know nothing of the Queen, beyond her crazy hats.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 09:03:21 PM »
Well I'm coming in late but this is so far my favorite page of Issue 3. 

Coming off the last panel of 2 pages ago.  Where Alex is taking off her coat with that challenge.   I thought that this is the 1st step of the Alex transformation I predicted way back in issue 2.  She looks confident, less nerdy. The way she can't wait to get physical with Eddie. This page is everything I was hoping for in that fight. 

Jess you did amazing on Alex's facial expression, especially the panel right before Grandma comes out and the almost horrified embarrassed look to finish the page.  I really like that panel before Grandma though, kind of a moment for those two well at least for Alex.   
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 11:37:01 PM »

Coming off the last panel of 2 pages ago.  Where Alex is taking off her coat with that challenge.   I thought that this is the 1st step of the Alex transformation I predicted way back in issue 2.  She looks confident, less nerdy. The way she can't wait to get physical with Eddie. This page is everything I was hoping for in that fight. 

Jess you did amazing on Alex's facial expression, especially the panel right before Grandma comes out and the almost horrified embarrassed look to finish the page.  I really like that panel before Grandma though, kind of a moment for those two well at least for Alex.

I agree, she totally did a great job on Alex's expressions.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 04:30:18 AM »

Oh man, it took me waaay too long to figure out what HRM stood for. That's how not British I am.

This is probably the first time I wrote that to be honest, I'm not very British myself.

Ps. The twitter feed is a piss-take one, it's quite funny at times..

[Edit: Fixed your fucked up quote box -A.D.]
[Comment on edit: Yeah should've checked, silly me.. -R.A.R.]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:09:47 PM by Rijst »

Jessica Safron

• The Artist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 09:23:31 PM »

Thanks a lot! I'm so glad people ended up liking it so much since I was always a little worried about it being too cringey (it still makes me cringe a little bit!). And I'm glad you said "well at least for Alex," because I'd been wondering how well I'd pulled off portraying her to be the worked up one and Eddie coming off as being more oblivious.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 05:11:46 PM »
[..] because I'd been wondering how well I'd pulled off portraying her to be the worked up one and Eddie coming off as being more oblivious.

Very well I think, Eddie looks like he's just realising what happened while Alex is clearly past that stage..