Author Topic: Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 9 - Snacky, No!  (Read 19190 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 9 - Snacky, No!
« on: August 09, 2014, 02:46:30 AM »

I love the way Jessica draws Eddie's pet pig, Snacky Love. He turned out better than I had imagined.

Also, I think this page is the record for the number of panels we've squeezed into one page. We have a lot to cover in this issue.

[Edit: fixed typo & grammar]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:48:07 PM by Adam Dravian »

aett

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 9 - Snacky, No!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 03:40:51 AM »
Awesome page - I'm definitely glad that it's crammed full of panels just so we can keep advancing the story. I definitely didn't expect to see a cute pig anytime soon!

Again, good on Eddie for having a spine. But yeah... between the jocks and the pig and the heightened emotions, it looks like he's about to be embarrassed.

Babe Alert: mostly the same as last week. Absolutely love the detail of Veronica continuing to eat her ice cream after Dean grabs her. She doesn't seem threatened by him at all. The two girls' expressions at the bottom when they see Snacky are very well-done, too.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:53:13 AM »
She's dead to me now has to be the best quote in this issue so far. Veronica is showing us how arrogant she is in panel 4 too.

Also totally didn't see the pig coming, love the name as well. He's quite big judging from his size relative to the door in panel 7.
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

ilovegarages

• Ninja Initiate
  • I love puppies, root beer and the 80s.
    • View Profile
    • I Can't Draw Hands
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 09:18:43 AM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Jessica Safron

• The Artist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »
Haha, Veronica continuing to lick her icecream was something I thought to have her do as I was drawing her and it tickled me. It felt very fitting for her character.

Uh oh, yeah, picturing a person walking through that door, Snacky probably looks a bit too big. He's pretty big, though. Also, he might look too small in the shot of him running at the girls. Too many panels, not enough time for accuracy! ;)

aett

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 01:18:58 PM »
Haha, Veronica continuing to lick her icecream was something I thought to have her do as I was drawing her and it tickled me. It felt very fitting for her character.

Little touches like that are going to be a big part of the comic's eventual success. The internet is littered with comics that are created with a distinct lack of effort, and even a lot of comics with good art tend to cut corners whenever they can.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 03:00:15 PM »
Awesome page - I'm definitely glad that it's crammed full of panels just so we can keep advancing the story.

It's a balancing act. We want to tell as much story as we can in each page, but we don't want the pages to feel overly crammed. A friend of ours who also does comics recommended a limit of seven panels per page. We've obviously gone well beyond that many times, but I think it depends on how it's done.

I definitely didn't expect to see a cute pig anytime soon!

Heh, I'm glad Snacky has come off as cute. We wanted to make him ugly, but in a cute way. .Here's a real-life pot-bellied pig we took some inspiration from. Snacky isn't quite as old that pig, as he still has some spring to his step. At least when ice cream is involved.

She's dead to me now has to be the best quote in this issue so far.

;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:02:00 PM by Adam Dravian »

Rae

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »
Love how Dean is just too cool to use car doors.  8)

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 06:21:31 AM »
Love how Dean is just too cool to use car doors.  8)

Perhaps he's trying to out-cool his mate, who looks like total knob for using the car door now..

It felt very fitting for her character.

Definitely puts her down as cool-headed in the face of douchebaggery, although it's a stark contrast with page 1-10..

Rape_expert

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 12:15:21 AM »
I loved this page so much that I called my GF a cute slut pig. Then we went out for ice cream. I had to use my car doors though.   :(

100% true.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 03:45:04 AM »
Definitely puts her down as cool-headed in the face of douchebaggery, although it's a stark contrast with page 1-10..

Well, on page 10 of issue 1, it's the night of the breakup and she's alone in her bedroom. She's actually crying more from hurt pride and embarrassment (which will make better sense when more details about how she found the tape are revealed) than from a broken heart. But even on that page, some of her anger shows through with her writing "Cheeting asshole" with her lipstick over the photo of the two of them.

Now it's the following day, she's gotten the crying out of her system, and she's drugged up and has her best friend to back her up (not to mention ice cream), so she's more angry/annoyed than sad.

I loved this page so much that I called my GF a cute slut pig. Then we went out for ice cream. I had to use my car doors though.   :(

100% true.

I love this anecdote almost as much as I love your awesomely offensive name.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 09:49:47 AM »
Well, on page 10 of issue 1, it's the night of the breakup and she's alone in her bedroom. She's actually crying more from hurt pride and embarrassment (which will make better sense when more details about how she found the tape are revealed) than from a broken heart. But even on that page, some of her anger shows through with her writing "Cheeting asshole" with her lipstick over the photo of the two of them.

Now it's the following day, she's gotten the crying out of her system, and she's drugged up and has her best friend to back her up (not to mention ice cream), so she's more angry/annoyed than sad.

I'm surprised she didn't shove that ice cream in his face though, or chuck it into his car..

Yeah the "cheeting asshole" made me smile, because it's another great example of UK and US spelling being different: "arsehole".. ;)

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 01:18:00 AM »
Well this is one of my favorite pages in a while.  I like that it improves upon the character development of Eddie which has been slow but reasonably so. 

Snacky is a total surprise, did not expect Eddie to be a pig guy. 

Babes: I'm still thinking Heather on this page especially in the 3rd and 4th panel, Jess you did amazing with her expression.  She says so much without saying a thing.
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Ghoul

• Weblord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Satan Ninja 198X
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 03:16:19 AM »
Absolutely horrified at being spoken to by Eddy apparently, haha love the extreme closeup!