Author Topic: Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 17 - Ninja Commander  (Read 14442 times)

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 17 - Ninja Commander
« on: October 04, 2014, 01:46:01 AM »

Up until about a half hour ago, the leader of the satan ninja clan was called "Dark One." But just as Jessica was saving the page for me to post it, I suggested the name be changed to "Ninja Commander." Jessica always thought the name "Dark One" was boring to start with, so she was happy to change it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 01:50:32 AM by Adam Dravian »

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
Re: Issue 2 - Party Like It's 198X - Page 17 - Ninja Commander
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »
People don't assume classic poses like the one in frame 4 anymore. They used to be quite ubiquitous among bad guys. He actually reminds me of this guy a bit:

He also revealed that their secret lair is in America. I wonder who his brother is though..
Quote from: "The Boy" (Bad-Ass Ninjas)
I read on the internet that ninjas are hungry, you want some food?

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 05:19:46 PM »
Oh yeah, Cobra Commander is definitely an influence on this guy. I'm glad you mentioned him, as Jessica and I were were slightly worried that Ninja Commander's design was perhaps too similar to a certain other '80s cartoon ninja villain.

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 03:43:46 AM »
You mean Shredder from the TMNT?

I agree visually but his name instantly reminded me of Cobra Commander. Maybe it's because the page is called Ninja Commander that I though of him first. Not that the two are that different in attitude, if I remember correctly. I like the goat as well, although his freaky eyes suggest that it might be more than just that..

5 more pages for this issue, is that right? There's quite a lot happening right now and I'm looking forward to seeing a few things come together!

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »
Awesome page,  I for sure got a foot clan vibrant from that.  I also love the goat
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 01:31:59 AM »

You're in the UK, so I think you legally have to call them TMHT (Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles), because Ninjas aren't allowed in the UK. In fact, you're probably risking some serious jail time by reading our comic. Maybe we should make it so our site redirects UK visitors to satanhero.com. I'll talk to Ghoul about it.

But yeah, I was talking about Shredder.

5 more pages for this issue, is that right?

Actually, no. We decided not force ourselves to be beholden to any particular page count for each issue. That way we're free to tell the story at whatever pace is most fitting, instead of trying to either cram it all into 22 pages, or alternately add "filler" to pad it out to 22 pages (though I don't imagine we'd ever have an issue that's less than 20 pages).

Issue 2 will be longer than the first issue, but we actually don't know by how much. The script is all written, but it's hard to judge exactly how much space each page of the script will require. For instance, I thought for sure that Sam's Mr. Skull story would take more than one page, but Jessica made it nicely fit into one. And there are other scenes that ended up taking more pages than I would have guessed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:34:33 AM by Adam Dravian »

Rijst

• Ninja Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 07:07:01 AM »

You're in the UK, so I think you legally have to call them TMHT (Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles), because Ninjas aren't allowed in the UK. In fact, you're probably risking some serious jail time by reading our comic. Maybe we should make it so our site redirects UK visitors to satanhero.com. I'll talk to Ghoul about it.

Do I? I never knew, they were TMNT in the Netherlands where I grew up. I'll just throw a hissy fit about cultural backgrounds and discrimination. People always snap their mouths shut when you do that.

Having said that, I would bookmark satanhero.com and recommend it to anyone. If only to see how they respond..

But yeah, I was talking about Shredder.

5 more pages for this issue, is that right?

Actually, no. We decided not force ourselves to be beholden to any particular page count for each issue. That way we're free to tell the story at whatever pace is most fitting, instead of trying to either cram it all into 22 pages, or alternately add "filler" to pad it out to 22 pages (though I don't imagine we'd ever have an issue that's less than 20 pages).

Issue 2 will be longer than the first issue, but we actually don't know by how much. The script is all written, but it's hard to judge exactly how much space each page of the script will require. For instance, I thought for sure that Sam's Mr. Skull story would take more than one page, but Jessica made it nicely fit into one. And there are other scenes that ended up taking more pages than I would have guessed.

Interesting. While I totally agree that fillers etc are just a nuisance I just assumed issues would be the same lengths. I should've known better of course, after all this is not just any other web comic..  8)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:35:41 AM by Rijst »

Jessica Safron

• The Artist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »
Awesome page,  I for sure got a foot clan vibrant from that.  I also love the goat

Thanks! Though I think when people say they get a vibe from something, it's short for vibration. Let Marky Mark tell you about it. But vibrant basically means the same thing anyway (except it's an adjective), so whatever.

I like the goat as well, although his freaky eyes suggest that it might be more than just that..

Yeah, goat eyes are pretty scary. Mongooses (mongeese?) have similarly scary eyes, and I don't know why. They're nothing like the big herbivores that also have horizontal pupils, like goats, horses, hippos, etc. They're actually somewhat related to cats.

Michigander1911

• Rad Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »
Okay Jess just made one of the best posts ever, linking up Marky Mark.
Sonny Crockett: Man, it's so hot you could fry an egg on my face.  Det. Ricardo Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Rape_expert

• Ninja Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »
So much love for this page - probably my favorite yet. And not just for the Satanic Ninja goat.

Rae

• Neon Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 06:01:08 PM »
"Meanwhile, in the secret lair of Satan ninjas..." When I read that line, I imaged it to be how you guys refer to your living quarters, shaking your fists righteously and cursing all those pompous surface dwellers.

Adam Dravian

• The Writer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 11:45:03 PM »
"Meanwhile, in the secret lair of Satan ninjas..." When I read that line, I imaged it to be how you guys refer to your living quarters, shaking your fists righteously and cursing all those pompous surface dwellers.

That's pretty much spot on.